turning on utilities - house bought subj.-to - Posted by Ronnie

Posted by Brent_IL on October 28, 2003 at 22:11:37:

What?s with this Jim stuff? You?re confusing me. Your posts are in the must read category. It was only because the subject line was interesting that I discovered that Jim was in fact Jim FL. The switch from Jim IL was unnerving enough. (My envy grows around this time of the year). Now I?m worried that I may have missed something astute.

turning on utilities - house bought subj.-to - Posted by Ronnie

Posted by Ronnie on October 28, 2003 at 16:55:48:

HI!

I just bought a preforeclosure and deeded it into a trust today. Trustee is John Smith, beneficiary is ABC LLC (my company). Upon calling the electric utility co., they said that the owner failed to pay for several months before they finally cut power to the house. How do I get power back on without being liable for seller’s previous usage (I’m sure the electric company will want some sort of paperwork showing that I have an interest in the house)???

Thanks,

Ronnie

Re: turning on utilities - house bought subj.-to - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on October 28, 2003 at 22:35:08:

As Jim says, it depends on your state. In NY, gas/electric bills remain with the occupant, not the property, while water and sewer bills do attach to the property.

All I’ve ever had to do was just call up the utility company, tell them I’d bought the place and when I wanted service turned on. I’ve never had to show any proof of ownership.

Brian (NY)

Re: turning on utilities - house bought subj.-to - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on October 28, 2003 at 19:38:34:

Ronnie,
Check with your state laws.
Most places, electric service cannot be denied to a new person, or attached to the property when someone fails to pay a bill.

Most likely they will want to see I.D. and proof that you control the house.
Just show them the deed, and tell them this is a rental your company just picked up.
You need service to get the house ready.
In my locale, we pay them a one time deposit, which then either comes back, or gets credited towards the final bill.

There is no need to show a utility company trust docs and whatnot.
Just the deed should do.

Good luck,
Jim FL