Ugly house across the street... - Posted by Ian(Honolulu)

Posted by Dee-Texas on April 10, 2002 at 07:20:06:

Hello Ian,
Is the property for sale? If it is and the neighborhood is really apreciating as you said, put an option on it to sell OR buy it and raze it if the property isn’t worth fixing.
If none of that would work, I would check into city ordiances about parked cars etc and see if the city might enforce some of their city code volations. (People like this usually DON"T clean things up just because you ask)
Last effort…cut your price IF YOU HAVE TO and move on.
Best Success!
Dee-Texas

Ugly house across the street… - Posted by Ian(Honolulu)

Posted by Ian(Honolulu) on April 10, 2002 at 05:18:55:

I’m going to be selling my home in the asking range of around a million. Realistically 800k shouldn’t be too hard to fetch. It’s a large lot and an old home with a lot of charm. One of the most desireable areas on Oahu. A major problem is the house within plain view across the street is a DUMP. Needs paint badly, roof caving in, owners hop the curb and park on their yard in front of the house since there’s no garage, etc. I’m afraid potential buyers will look across the street and it will negatively impact their decision making process. This is very un-characteristic of homes in the neighborhood, and unfortunately is right by me. It’d be perfect if I was looking to buy one of those “worst homes in the best neighborhoods,” but instead I’m selling. Should I approach the owners? I’m afraid of insulting them. Any suggestions to remediate the problem would be appreciated.

-Ian

Re: Ugly house across the street… - Posted by daveh

Posted by daveh on April 15, 2002 at 07:49:48:

I just had this problem with a house I did a nice rehab on and wanted to rent out. I approached the neighbors in a very non-confrontational manner and explained the situation. Told them it was in their best interest to get the best possible neighbors. I offered to have my crew come over and clean up their yard at my cost (I was prepared to pay them an additional $100 cash for their trouble if they kept it clean – wasn’t required). They agreed to let my people clean up.

It’s an unfortunate fact that you need to bribe some people to get them to do the right thing. Even if you paid to paint the front of their house for them it’s probably cheaper in the long run than discounting your sales price.

P.S. I also like David’s idea of buying the place and fixing it if you’re so inclined.

Re: Ugly house across the street… - Posted by Marty

Posted by Marty on April 12, 2002 at 21:10:35:

Ian,
Tell them you have an associate that might be interested in buying the house if they are interested in selling. Give them my name and #'s. Tell them I have been persistent in questioning you about their house. Contact me if you think this would help. And yes, I would be interested in purchasing.
Sincerely,
Marty

you’re joking… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 11, 2002 at 14:24:12:

there are no ugly houses in the 50th state!

Why not approach the owners about you buying their house. fix up the front and yard to enhance the value of your property. did the same thing and ended up with 9 properties on the same block.

David Krulac

Re: Ugly house across the street… - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on April 10, 2002 at 07:50:18:

I agree, look for code violations and let the police handle it. If you approach them, they will probably get worse, thus making it harder for you to sell. If you have $200k play in your price, why not offer to paint their house and clean up the outside at your cost?