Uncertainty??? (long) - Posted by Mercy Figures in Miami

Posted by Chicago Steve on January 22, 2001 at 09:36:15:

I’m working on one now that’s sunk 3"-4" so far and another that the basement’s flooded and frozen. I call that one the ice cube. A 30’ x 30’ x 7’ block of ice in the basement and only one foot of clearance to the ceiling. Too short to ice skate!

Thanks for the clarification.

See you and Kelly in March?

Uncertainty??? (long) - Posted by Mercy Figures in Miami

Posted by Mercy Figures in Miami on January 20, 2001 at 17:25:58:

I have been reading the post on this site for the 18 months and I have finally decided to get my feet wet.
I have wanted to get into the real estate business for the last 5 years but for some reason or other I have always given myself reasons not to start. Not enough time (I am a work-a-holic), not enough information, and not knowing where to start.

I have all Ron LeGrand?s courses as well as Carlton Sheets (I had to start somewhere). I wanted to be as prepared and informed as possible.

I decided to go to my first investor?s meeting and I was blown out of the water. All of these people (100 or so) are all experienced investors. How would I be able to compete? Where would I find qualified properties with all of these people looking to do the same thing that I wanted to do?

I am questioning whether or not I have the wherewithal to be able to succeed in this business. I am a reasonably intelligent person, I have the desire to succeed, I have read courses, yet I wonder how all of you full timers and part timers do it??

Mercy in Miami

Thanks to all who - Posted by Mercy in Miami

Posted by Mercy in Miami on January 22, 2001 at 20:10:28:

replied. You really gave me something to think about.

Again thanks a lot.

Re: Uncertainty??? (long) - Posted by Rick(CA)

Posted by Rick(CA) on January 22, 2001 at 24:37:45:

Mercy,

Let me tell you a story about opportunity:

Around the turn of the century (20th), two shoe salesmen were sent to the continent of Africa to try and drum up shoe sales for their respective employers (competitors). They were to arrive, take orders and wire back if they needed more than would be shipped to them while they were there.

The first salesman took a look around at all the people and noticed not a single one wore any shoes. He IMMEDIATELY wired back his office and wrote. Bad news! Turn the shipment around! Not a single person here wears any shoes! It’s a big waste of time!

The Second salesman, upon taking a look around at all the people walking around without shoes IMEEDIATELY wire his office and wrote: GREAT NEWS! Second a second shipment of shoes! Not a SINGLE person hear wears any! Unlimited potential market!!!

I guess what I’m saying here is twofold. You can take a look at your investor club and think, I can’t do this. Or, you can look at them and think, Wow, there’s so many of them, there must be enough business for even me to join!

Not to mention, that’s 100 fellow investors who can:
-Buy an assignable contract from you when you want to flip
-Birdog for if you don’t want to control a house
-Be a hard money investor to you
-Be a partner on a deal you need a partner on
-An unlimited source of support and information (much like this board)
-100 people to choose from if you want a Mentor
-… and the list can go on

Personally, I agree with JohnBoy. When I drive or fly, I look at ALL THOSE HOUSES out there and think, there’s no way anybody can handle all that business out there by themselves.

So, are you gonna be salesman #1 or #2?

Best of luck to you!

Re: Uncertainty??? (long) - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on January 20, 2001 at 21:18:43:

Mercy,
How many people sell gas where you live? How many Realtors are there? Etc., Etc. Competition is overrated. There are investors in my area and other areas I know who worry about it. In my opinion, that’s just wasted, negative energy. There’s plenty of deals for everyone.

As far as whether or not you can do it, I have a question for you. Can you do it? How many times have you given a full 100% to something and not succeeded? We’re all works in progress and we’re all at different levels, pursuing different, yet similar paths. It’s a simple answer; you can do this if you want to. Do you want to? My guess is that due to the fact that you’ve failed to take action for this long that you and I are not that unlike. Therefore, I also think this is the type of answer you would expect. Hope that helps…

Re: It’s very simple, - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on January 20, 2001 at 19:49:13:

you have already become a success. Think about it. You have studied some meterial. You have placed yourself in the company of successful investors. The most difficult part is to begin, and you already have.

11" differential - Posted by Chicago Steve

Posted by Chicago Steve on January 21, 2001 at 13:36:44:

Tim,

I took your suggestion and followed your link back to your lessons learned. Great Piece!

But…what does “walking on an 11” differential in the slab" mean??

Best wishes to you and yours.

Hope to see you in Atlanta!

funny thing… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on January 21, 2001 at 17:30:52:

Steve,
I had tons of inquiries regarding that the first time I posted that. Branstetter and a few of the other vets knew what I meant, but almost no one else. What I had meant was that the slab had an 11" differential from one side to another. In other words, it wasn’t level. When you let go of the front door, or any door facing north/south (I think), it slammed by itself hard! Visualize someone choosing one side of a house and hammering that entire side down 11" below the other. Does that help?