unethical realtor who is also my ex wife - Posted by Bob

Posted by Dirk Roach on June 09, 2000 at 15:00:15:

unethical realtor who is also my ex wife - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on June 09, 2000 at 14:48:32:

I’m at my wit’s end regarding my ex-wife (a Realtor) who won’t agree to use a different Realtor to sell our home.

She tried for six months to sell the house but didn’t. She also did not represent my interests and did a few shady things (like trying to get me to sign a blank listing form, saying she would fill it out later.) She would make decisions without consulting me, like reducing the price of the house. Now she lives over two hours away from the house we own in common yet still won’t agree to let a local area Realtor list the house.

Are there ethics about this sort of thing? She says if I don’t list it again with her, I can just go to court where a judge will force a sale at the highest bid. I know I need to see an attorney but thought that someone might know if there is a conflict of interest on her part.

Thanks,
Bob in Colorado

Distance is not important - Price is - Relist with your ex. - Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila)

Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila) on June 14, 2000 at 19:15:02:

Bob
Have your wife put a lockbox on the house and relist it with her. Assuming she is motivated to sell the house you can’t go wrong unless you and she just look for reasons to fight with each other. If that is the case - listing with another agent is not going to solve the problem either.

Re: unethical realtor who is also my ex wife - Posted by george

Posted by george on June 10, 2000 at 14:49:58:

Why not write a letter of complaint, give it to your wife and tell your wife you will send it if her behavoir does not change. Try not to rant in the letter. Financially you will be better off if you can solve this in the least contensious way. Once solved rant all you like.

You don’t have a realtor problem… - Posted by Thom

Posted by Thom on June 10, 2000 at 08:59:20:

you have an ex wife problem…see your attorney or buy her half of the house.

Re: unethical realtor who is also my ex wife - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 09, 2000 at 20:54:31:

Hi Bob:

It looks like you?ve got a complaint?.not much of a question there. I guess you can pursue that if you would prefer to tangle with the EX?.perhaps even spend some money on some legal fees. Of course when they find out you?re complaining about the EX, I would imagine some eyes will roll, and they may take you a little less seriously.

But take a look at a few facts. She tried to have you sign a blank listing agreement, but you didn?t do it. So even if she had ulterior motives?.you didn?t fall for it. No harm done there. Yes, perhaps she lowered the price without your approval?..but reality is that even at the lower price it didn?t sell. And had it sold at a lower price, you could have simply decided NOT to accept the offer if that were your choice. She doesn?t want to list with a local realtor?but who knows, perhaps that?s because she wants to save her side of the commission, or perhaps she’s aware that having the property in the MLS is half the battle?the particular realtor it?s with is not that important (my opinion). And she?s probably right?.a judge if it were taken to court my well force a sale?.resulting in an even lower price.

You know Bob, divorced couples manage to stay enmeshed with each other by continuing their battles in an attempt to ?get? each other. I?ve been there. The bottomline is that nothing serious has happened to you here, the property is NOT selling, and that may well be because the price is not LOW enough. If you really want to get the property sold, lower the price, and quit the disputing with the EX. Keep in mind that nothing happens unless YOU sign the documents.

There?s got to be something more productive to do than fight with the EX.

JPiper

Re: unethical realtor who is also my ex wife - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on June 09, 2000 at 20:11:31:

Here’s the phone number for the Color. R.E. Commission, assuming she’s still in CO and trying to use her license: 303.894.2166. Tell them you have a complaint against a broker and want to talk of an investigator.
If she is a member of a Board of Realtors you can also try there. If she’s a member in a small town, however, they might try to “protect” her by not taking you seriously. If she’s a Board member in a small town and they try that, then try the Colorado Assoc. of Realtors, they might be able to handle your ethics complaint if the local board can’t/won’t. (You’ll have to check the phone book for them, they’re located in Inverness, in the south DTC area of the metro area.)
Good Luck!

Re: unethical realtor who is also my ex wife - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on June 09, 2000 at 17:01:29:

Bob,
Your state probably had a division of real estate or it’s equivelent (agency that regulates the real estate licenses). Complain loudly to them. If you can not find the right agency complain loudly to the governors office in your state and they will direct your complaint. I personally see no way that your EX can give you fair representation in this important financial matter GOOD LUCK (YELL LOUD)…Ed