Uniforms - Posted by Bill

Posted by Darrell on November 25, 1998 at 20:53:01:

OK, I confess I’ve never seen a Nehru hat. Keep in mind, I would be willing to spend a substantial sum for such an artifact.

Uniforms - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on November 24, 1998 at 19:19:01:

This may seem insignificant or silly to many of you. However its somewhat of a concern to me, and maybe other freshman investors as well. Is how you are dressed a concern to any of you senior investors. I mean, Im a levis and T-shirt kind of guy. In your opinion, is it appropriate to dress that way when meeting with bankers, sellers, Real Estate folks, or should I/We be more formally attired. If so, How formal. Suit and tie? casual, or in fact are the jeans and T-shirt acceptable. Just curious, I was a suit for several years, and its nice to jump into the jeans anytime I want for a change.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Re: Uniforms - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on November 25, 1998 at 13:08:15:

I read the several comments posted below, and although I sort of agree with them, they miss the point: If you are a buyer or seller trying to do a deal with your opposite, you want to “persuade” them by getting them to trust you. This is classic negotiating based on textbook: You want to “fit in,” not frighten people by acting like them, talking like them, and LOOKING like them. I always try to dress like the person I’m going to be talking to (in my case, usually blue collar). There have been numerous psychological studies on these points (dress, talk, body language, etc.) in sales situations that prove this approach works best. However, when HIRING somebody (banker, title co. officer, Realtor, workman), it’s different. In these cases you want to look better than they do–you’re looking for respect more than trust. --Eduardo

Re: Uniforms - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on November 25, 1998 at 12:22:59:

Suit?? Necktie?? What’s that??

I “outgrew” mine years ago. Last I heard, sellers just want out of the property.

If I wanted owner financing I would want the seller to believe I could afford more than a t-shirt…but knowledge is what sells deals, not clothes.

JPiper

Re: Uniforms - Posted by Andrew Graham

Posted by Andrew Graham on November 25, 1998 at 24:32:14:

As with anything, it depends. If you are looking at a property in a wealthy area, I would recommend dressing accordingly, not necessarily a tie, but definitely dress slacks and a sportsjacket at the minimum, in the less expensive neighborhoods, sellers will probably not be so quick to judge you based on the clothes you are wearing. I never wear a tie, but I always dress accordingly. Just my opinion though.

Re: Uniforms - Posted by Darrell

Posted by Darrell on November 25, 1998 at 17:34:49:

JPiper,

I assume the Nehru jacket would not be a worthwhile addition to the wardrobe?

Re: Uniforms - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on November 25, 1998 at 11:08:10:

I tend to disagree here, folks. Now, granted I don’t wear ripped, stained, dirty clothes to begin with … I have no problem with a nice pair of jeans and a button-down shirt. I’m neat and clean cut.

If I can’t impress them with my words, thought and knowledge I have no shot no matter what I’m wearing.

Just my opinion.
RL

Re: Uniforms - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on November 25, 1998 at 24:39:48:

I’m with Andrew. I’m out in MH parks so I don’t try to dress it up much at all. I keep it at a nice clean pair of pants and a nice shirt (I prefer button down style but that is just me). I have seen some of the realitors who are trying to sell Big Doublewides in suits and stuff and everyone (people who live in the park) always roll their eyes at them.
Something else I’ve noticed, a smile goes a long way, at least with the people I come across.
Just some observations,
Dirk

Re: Uniforms - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on November 25, 1998 at 19:35:25:

I thought it was already in your wardrobe Darrell…now you might want to add the hat!

JPiper