Update From Atlanta - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by Jack_KY on February 28, 2000 at 10:27:22:

nt

Update From Atlanta - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 25, 2000 at 23:47:57:

Hard to believe I’m the only one here with a laptop:-)
But you asked, so here’s my opinion, for what it’s worth.

I really should be in bed, but being here is almost like when I was a kid right before Christmas! Just being in the same room with people like J.P. and Terry Vaughan, Robert Kiyosaki, Lonnie Scruggs and many, many others is such a blast. I know it sounds corny, but you really get energized just being around these people!

Kiyosaki gave a preview of his upcoming book (he says it’ll be out May 1), basing much of his talk on its contents. While readers of Rich Dad Poor Dad and Cash Flow Quadrant will already be familiar with his ideas, he expanded some during his talk this morning. He’s also developed a Cash Flow for kids game!

Following Kiyosaki, Lisa Moren gave a presentation billed as dealing with marketing, but it veered more into landlord tips. She’s definitely a dynamic speaker. I will be applying a couple of her ideas as soon as I return home. Even though she spoke right after lunch, I didn’t see anyone nodding off.

Finally, Lonnie gave a two hour-plus talk on mobile home investing. He could double as a comedian. The man is FUNNY!

Tonight was a great buffet dinner, then Terry Vaughan presented the “Blue Vase” award to Judy (sorry, I don’t remember her last name) from Florida. Terry is a great speaker, by the way.

I have to say that so far, the opportunity to meet and talk with other investors has been at least as valuable - if not more so - than the scheduled presentations. I spent nearly two hours tonight with Tim and Kelly Randle - who are really nice people. Finally met Dee (TX), steph from tex, Brandy (guess I wandered into the Texas section!), Jim IL, Steve Cook, Bill K (AZ), Kieran (AZ), and many others whom I just can’t remember right now 'cause I’m dead tired. Oh, and I saw Phil Fernandez in his shorts from two rows back, but didn’t have a chance to introduce myself, and somebody pointed out Jim Piper to me across the room. I wish there were more hours in the day to do more than just shake hands and say hello to many of the wonderful people here.

Ed Garcia and Terry Vaughan are first up tomorrow with their “How to Get Lenders Fighting to Give You Money” talk. I’m sure that one alone will be worth the price of the conference.

Looking forward to the roundtable discussions tomorrow night. Might post more, if I’m sober enough!

Sorry you’re not here, but happy I am:-)

Brian (NY)

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by John Butler(Stl)

Posted by John Butler(Stl) on February 26, 2000 at 19:40:16:

Well, the sad truth is I left the Atlanta conference today at 1:00 PM and am now back in St. Louis. I unfortunately had a previous engagement on Saturday night that I had to attend but made it for the first day and a half. Just like last year, I came back charged and ready to buy! I even figured out a way to sell a property I was working on to some tenants! So many real deal-makers and everyone so glad to share their hard fought information. The neat part is that even though the speaker lineup was somewhat near the same as last year, you still pick up TONS of new ideas that will make you money NOW. The networking and the energy that is present is almost more valuable to me than the speakers. I mean how often can you sit and have a 3 hour dinner chat with a guy that has 1100 houses?? If that doesn’t make you want to “think big,” I don’t know what does. I can’t wait for next year’s and will make sure I can go and not miss a bit of it.

Just my 2 cents,

John

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by JB in MD

Posted by JB in MD on February 26, 2000 at 16:32:41:

Hi everyone,

These guys are right. It has been awesome being here. I have met a cool guy from Louisiana and we have been hanging out the whole time. Just bouncing ideas off each other and talking with other groups about the myriad different strategies there are in this business. I think I heard that there are about 450 of us here.

There is so much energy here. I am so glad I came. I was a little apprehensive at first because I am a newbie and have not done any deals, but DC had better look out when I get back!!! Everyone is extremely supportive and understanding of whatever your position is, and are very inspirational and encouraging as well. No one here is above anyone else; they are just ordinary people like you and me who are getting paid for their, as Bill Bronchick said today, ‘specialized knowledge’. (When you attend next year, be prepared to take lots of notes. I took 7 pages on Bronchick alone.)

The experience of being here has been almost priceless. That is because it helps you to realize that this isn’t just some pipe dream, and that you can do this. Definately worth the $595 price tag. For this much good information and networking opportunity they could easily charge much more and be justified. (That is not a suggestion JP and Terry!!) There is a huge difference between reading the NG and Success Stories (which I do religiously) and being here with the real players who are making it happen day in and day out. That is because when you meet these people in person, you get the human interaction that you can’t get reading a compute screen. I recommend you do what you have to to get here next year if you are not attending this year. You have 12 months to plan, so as is the motto here - - just go do it!!

PS - Steve Cook - I’m still looking for you but I haven’t found you yet!

Thanks JP and Terry and all the pro’s who are making this the event to attend this year!!

Jason

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by Emmett-NC

Posted by Emmett-NC on February 26, 2000 at 11:30:31:

I am at the convention, with laptop, but again with lil time to use it. The atmosphere of just being here is awesome. You have a great mix of people from all walks of life, and all experience levels coming together for a common goal.
Meeting Kiyosaki was great for me personally, since he is a major influence on me and many other people. The other speakers were outstanding and gave great info…not to mention GREAT deals on the courses too.
Last night, myself and a few other convention members sat and had a few beers with ol Mr Bronchick. One of the most personable guys I have met. Oh, call him a guru…he loves that. =) I look forward to his portion of the seminar.
Well its time to get back downstairs and ramp up for more fun.

Emmett-NC

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on February 26, 2000 at 09:52:26:

Hey Brian,

Thought I’d let you know that there is at least one other laptop here… I just can’t get any time to use it! We’re having a blast and it is so interesting to put faces with names. I’ve talked until 1:00 am every night, and hated to stop to go to bed. I love the energy of all these dealmakers in one place. That is just one of the reasons that this convention has become a must for me.

Speaking of energy, I just came from downstairs and when I left Terry had everybody trading shoes for note collateral! What a hoot!

ray@lcorn

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by Ruth Bruhn

Posted by Ruth Bruhn on February 26, 2000 at 20:46:25:

John, who owns 1100 houses and do they or a management company run the business? Also, at the round table sessions did all the speakers participate or just some and who were the ones that participated? I really would like to go to the convention next year, just would like to know how it was set up. Thank you, Ruth.

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on February 27, 2000 at 22:23:00:

Jason,
I just read your post and I’m in Maryland now. I’m not sure if you did catch up with me. Hopefully you did. If not I’m right here in MD, you are welcome to come up and see me sometime.

Happy Investing!

Steve

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by Nicole_AZ

Posted by Nicole_AZ on February 28, 2000 at 08:52:50:

There were 10 round table speakers. All except for two of the regular speakers were there plus a couple of guys that did not give a presentation. Lets see if I can remember them all.

Terry Vaughn
Ed Garcia
Lonnie Scruggs
Dick Deitsch (Not sure on spelling, he’s from Mid-Ohio)
Lisa Moren
Ray Alcorn
Ron LeGrand
Bill Bronchick

and two others that I can’t remember right now.

It was well worth it to be there and I would definately start planning on going next year!

Re: Update From Atlanta - Posted by John Butler(Stl)

Posted by John Butler(Stl) on February 27, 2000 at 16:57:55:

Ruth,

The guy that owns 1100 houses is named Greg Blatz(spelling could be wrong) and he posts on the board from time to time. He actually bought a management company(along with 400 houses they owned) to run his properties.

I left before Saturday night so I missed the round table discussions this year, but last year they were awesome. Just you and 10 other people at a table chatting with the “gurus” about whatever you want. I believe almost all of the speakers participated last year.

John