Update on my repo - Posted by Nate-WI

Posted by Luke-MN on April 23, 2006 at 12:51:19:

I have done Kilz on some linoluem in a basement before putting another layer on and it worked great. Gives the lino a better surface to adhere to anyways.

Update on my repo - Posted by Nate-WI

Posted by Nate-WI on April 21, 2006 at 15:06:10:

Hey all,

Just finished gutting my repo that I told you about this week. Wow was the pee overwhelming from the dog. I ripped out all the carpet and pad along with the rest of the house. Question for you all…

Should I rip out the vinyl or should I just vinyl over it? What about the pee smell with the carpet? Is there anyway I can get that smell outta there? For some reason I think good ol’ Kilz would work as a primer before the pad and carpet go down. Suggestions please!

Nate-WI

Re: Update on my repo - Posted by Dave Swett-CA-ME

Posted by Dave Swett-CA-ME on April 24, 2006 at 10:18:25:

Your problem is of great interest to me. I have not had to work on an issue like this, but my fear is that it could easily happen to me.

In this weekend’s paper, they mentioned the use of oxalic acid to remove stains from concrete. Oxalic is in bleaches and is a competitor to chlorine bleach. The reason that these bleaches work so well is that there is a free oxygen radical that readily combines with other organic items, like the pee.

The recommendation of oxalic got me thinking about other possible oxygen rich items and I thought of hydrogen peroxide. This has a lot of free oxygen and may work even better than bleach.

I hve read other postings of people using ozone generators to remove the smoke smell from their trailers. The ozone works well again because of the excess free oxygen in the ozone.

I can see from the other postings that everyone wants you to use Kilz and maybe that is the quick and effective way to go. but you seem open to suggestions and I think it would be great if you tried one of these other ideas and something else worked.

Good luck on your renovation.

DJ

Re: Update on my repo - Posted by Rikki

Posted by Rikki on April 22, 2006 at 08:28:54:

I’ve recently read where Listerine (yes, the mouthwash) has had some success with getting rid of the smell of money…I mean urine.

Try washing bare floor with - Posted by Dave Swett-CA-ME

Posted by Dave Swett-CA-ME on April 21, 2006 at 21:54:31:

chlorine bleach to neutralize the pee smell. Have a helper follow behind you with the 16 gallon Sears wet/dry vacuum so that the water won’t penetrate too much into the wood.

Also, I have used TSP, trisodium phosphate, for a lot of major tough cleaning jobs.

I have never used baking soda to solve a problem exactly like yours, but I know that it has a wonderful ability to absorb odors on carpets. I put down the baking soda, broom it real hard to mix the soda into the dirt and then vacuum. It has worked every time for carpets.

And finally, I and many others have used Kilz to cover and seal the smells into the wood. Maybe that would be the last thing to do.

DJ

Re: Try washing bare floor with - Posted by Bruce

Posted by Bruce on April 22, 2006 at 06:12:26:

Oil based kilz DJ. You cannot remove it so you have to seal it in. Especially if the floor is particle board. I think you will find most other methods will only work to a certain degree.

Re: Try washing bare floor with - Posted by Nate-WI

Posted by Nate-WI on April 22, 2006 at 07:28:56:

I have to use a flat spaded shovel to get the rest of the carpet pad out. God bless Kilz. Now does this work on tile as well? Maybe with a good clean-up the tile can be cleaned. There will be new tile going in on top of the existing tile. But if the pee is in the grout or along the walls in the crevices I might have a hard time hiding that smell. Should I even mess with the tile with Kilz? Is that to far fetched?

Nate-WI