Update: The law on flyers on mailboxes - Posted by Charity

Posted by JohnBoy on April 25, 2002 at 21:44:16:

The newspaper company does care! They do not allow it. But like you said, they never do anything about it because mostly they never know about it because the delivery person doesn’t care!

I didn’t know there was a problem with placing flyers between the flag and box or even using rubberbands to attach the flyer to the handle on the box. I always thought as long as it was on the outside of the box then it was OK. I never had a problem with it before, but it’s been a looooong time since I ever put out flyers on mailboxes, so they may cracked down on it since.

Update: The law on flyers on mailboxes - Posted by Charity

Posted by Charity on April 25, 2002 at 14:25:04:

I decided to investigate further on whether or not it is actually illegal to post flyers on people’s mailboxes or posts. I called the USPS 800 # and was told AGAIN that it is illegal. I asked for the statute and she gave me to local # to my PO, so I called there. I asked the lady for a statute # and it is in the Domestic Mail Manual section D041.2.5 that you cannot post any advertisement on any part of the mail box or post. This is considered to be avoidance of paying postage and the minimum fine is $500 per offense (so if they get you on 10 flyers, you have quite a fine). I asked her why everyone does it and no one seems to get into trouble. She said the carriers are now instructed to bring in just 2 examples of someone’s flyer they find on the route. Then that person gets a warning letter. If they get caught again, they go into criminal proceedings with the investigation dept.

Just wanted to clarify what I had learned. I do believe (since I have already been “caught” once) that I will just use stamps this time or bulk mail postcards or something. On that note, what does bulk mail run for 1000 postcards anyway?

Charity

SO, does that mean if you… - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on April 25, 2002 at 22:04:25:

Charity,
So, does that mean if you have a grudge against someone, or just want to eliminate a competitor, that all you have to do is post a few hundered flyers on some mailboxes? Once the post office sends the “offender” a warning, then you just go out and post a few hundered more. Let’s see now, at $500 each times , say 500 that would be an expensive problem for someone.
If that happened to you, how do you suppose you would defend it in court?
judge: “Let’s see now , you’re in this business. Flyers advertizing your business with your number are on 500+ boxes in direct violation of the written warning you were given. Yet, you say they’re not your flyers.” Verdict for the post office and a 25K fine.

Charity: “I was framed!”

The next day, 500 more are on the boxes.

A scary thought.
Bill

NEW WAY!!! - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on April 25, 2002 at 21:31:09:

Have you seen those new mailboxes with slots on the bottom for newspapers? Well, you can place it in there. You just throw it in there. They can NOT say anything about this. Then if they don’t have that…but have a seperate box for the newspaper…Just place it in that box. The newspaper company doesn’t say anything since the carrier doesn’t care half of the time if they are even paying attention. This should help you avoid any further problems.
Cordially,
Lazaro
PS I am not a LAWYER…I just speak from experience!

Here’s What I Would Do - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 25, 2002 at 19:08:29:

They say that no advertising is allowed on the mail box and the post. I now get my mail at the post office through a PO Box. So I’d take down the actual mail box and leave the post standing and then attach my beloved Bandit Signs to the post. No more mail box involved and I have a post for my signs.

Re: SO, does that mean if you… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on April 25, 2002 at 23:04:18:

$500 fine on 500 flyers wouldn’t be a $25k fine. That would be a $250k fine!

You have any local businesses you admire??? LOL