Updating electric service - Posted by Bob (IL)

Posted by VlaDE on September 10, 2004 at 11:26:08:

Randy (SD),

If I can chime in here, thanks for the helpful link. I followed the link to the website and was redirected to a different site, where the estimator program seems to be for sale for $17.50 (download). This is unbelievably cheap!

Have you, by chance, tested its accuracy in a real life project?

Once again, thanks.

-Vlad

Updating electric service - Posted by Bob (IL)

Posted by Bob (IL) on September 10, 2004 at 09:13:56:

I have a rehab I’m bidding on which is in need of having the electrical service updated. It’s a 1,600 sqft 2 story 100 yr old house. I’m looking for a estimate for having this work done. The house is located in the far western suburbs of Chicago. Can someone give me an idea of the cost assuming it’s performed by a licenced electrician? My gut feeling is around $2K.

Re: Updating electric service - Posted by Tony S. in FL

Posted by Tony S. in FL on September 12, 2004 at 13:39:31:

I own a rental that’s 1900 sq ft and is about 100 yrs old also. Prop is in Alabama.

Just had two estimates done to replace entire wiring, upgrade outlets and panel in the place. (I think Thomas Edison himself wired it originally).

Bids were 6K and 8K.

Re: Updating electric service - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on September 11, 2004 at 09:29:55:

I just had 200 amp service added to a house for $1,500.

Re: Updating electric service - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on September 10, 2004 at 12:24:00:

If its just a matter of replacing the old 60 amp fuse panel with a 100 amp breaker panel $1000 should cover it. Thats what having the electrical service updated means around here anyway.

If you have to get into rewiring the house of course its going to cost more. In that case you will have to have an electrician give you an estimate. Get 3 estimates, the prices can vary widely. Some guys hate working on old houses but wont admit it, they just price the job way high and hope they dont get it.

Re: Updating electric service - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on September 10, 2004 at 10:17:28:

here is a site where you can estimate almost any project:
http://www.get-a-quote.net/QuoteEngine/costbook.asp?WCI=CostFrameSet&BookId=1&Pattern=Electrical+work