Urban Decay and the Feds - Posted by Ben in Ohio

Posted by Ben in Ohio on April 24, 2000 at 07:02:32:

Now, if I can just figure out how to turn it into dollars!

Urban Decay and the Feds - Posted by Ben in Ohio

Posted by Ben in Ohio on April 22, 2000 at 08:53:16:

For excellent articles on the urban decay, public housing, and answers to failed welfare policies and subsidised housing look at–

A Tale of Two Kinds of Cities : Part 1
The Disfigurement of the American City

Re: Urban Decay and the Feds - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 22, 2000 at 13:14:29:

Ben:

I went and read the article, and I’m not sure what the point of you sharing it is.

There is no question it’s descriptive of how David Wilens views the Metropolitan American city.

Personally I could appreciate David’s view although, I know that if I wanted to put a spin on it.
I could make everything he said seem insignificant.

The reason I say that, is because I feel everything is made up, of half-truths.

David took facts and utilized them as an observation of how he viewed the American City verses
those of other countries. Then he compared them to Tourist Cities of the World.

He makes mention that, While cities in other developed countries seem to be charming, vibrant, lively, exciting and convenient places in which to live and work, many American cities seem sterile, worn,
deteriorated, and inefficient. For example, Travel and Leisure magazine took a poll of its readers as to their
favorite city; Sydney, Australia topped the list. London, Paris and Rome have long been known as hot spots for romantic getaways. (NO KIDDING)

Travel and Leisure magazine are going to focus on the most touristic (no such word) places on the Planet.

Ben I personally, I got married in Stanley park in Vancouver Canada. I don’t mind telling you that the frame of mind I was in, I could have gotten married in Tijuana Mexico and had the same feeling.

I can assure you Vancouver is beautiful and a very clean city as far as size comparison. However my point
is, you can view a city from what ever view point you choose .

David’s article led up to his criticism of governmental programs. His point was to put the blame on those
programs for which the ghetto’s etc are the result. THAT’S JUST NOT SO.

First of all his description is not accurate, the WORLD reaps with PROVERTY.

Ben, I’m a Republican, (that’s not my fault) but my point is, I believe everybody should work and carry
their own weight. Yes I believe that the agencies that David had mentioned in many ways are counter productive and should be under scrutiny and criticism. Hopefully by doing so, we can improve them.

But I also think the origin of these agencies had good cause, and I wouldn’t want to punish those who have
been helped to get back on their feet, because of those who have learned to beat the system.

I also wouldn’t want to limit my Governmental clean up to just those agencies.

The Government reaps with Inconsistencies that will require on going reworking THAT’S A FACT OF LIFE. But this is still a d@mn good place to live, and Boy am I glad to be an AMERICAN.

Ed Garcia

Re: Urban Decay and the Feds - Posted by Ben in Ohio

Posted by Ben in Ohio on April 23, 2000 at 08:45:06:

Hello Ed.

I really didn’t know what to expect from the group by sharing this. I must admit that while reading the articles (by the way Ed the author has two other follow up articles at the site) my thoughts were on real estate investing. As the saying goes–'thars gold in them hills-- or something like that, just ask DOnald Trump who has made at least part of his empire on gov’t funds and/or in area blighted by public housing programs.

A few years ago I had been at a convention at McCormick Place in Chicago. My outbound flight departed Midway. On my way out of town someone suggested taking the L train, then a taxi to Midway. I did just that and somehow ended up in the South side of Chicago. If you have never been there I can tell you it is not unlike Hiroshima after the bomb. The buildings, landscape, and people were as desperate as any I have seen in any impoverished country. It was a shock to see the miles and miles of urban decay. The enormity of the abandonded, run down structures that were at one time owned by invesors! One cannot walk out of there without asking why? How does this happen? Can it happen in anywhere?

So what’s the point?

Many of the investors here at CREonline are investing in areas that may or may not survive this type of abandonment. There certainly are many contributing factors that we have no control over, and surely government policy is perhaps one of the largest. Federal policies have a direct effect on us, the creative investors-- tax policies, grants and loans for funding, subsidized rents, zoning issues, EPA regulations (lead paint, radon, etc.), HUD, FHA, VA, financing and so forth. For many developers government programs may be some of the most creative opportunities out there!

Re: Urban Decay and the Feds - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 23, 2000 at 13:06:57:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the clarification. Now I know where you’re comming from.

Ed Garcia