using 2nd mort. to finance rental properties - Posted by Tom,LA

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on April 19, 2000 at 15:42:22:

It’s called pyramiding… It’s VERY agressive (house of cards comes to mind… :slight_smile: But it is a great way to leverage your equity to acquire more properties in an appreciating market. What would the LTV be on the duplex? That would be my only concern (whether you could actually “move the 2nd” to the duplex…)

Mark

using 2nd mort. to finance rental properties - Posted by Tom,LA

Posted by Tom,LA on April 19, 2000 at 13:58:10:

I used a 2nd mortgage on my primary residence to purchase a duplex last year. I now have enough equity in the duplex to move the 2nd mortagae to the duplex. Once that is done, it will free up the equity on my primary residence to purchase another rental. Would like to anyones thoughts on this method of purchasing rental properties.

Tom,LA

Re: using 2nd mort. to finance rental properties - Posted by Ben in Ohio

Posted by Ben in Ohio on April 20, 2000 at 07:44:09:

I have never done it but I think the term to trasfer a lien from one property to another is subrogation. Of course, the holder of the second would have to agree, and it may be a hard sell to move from your principal residence to investment property. The other possibility is to pull the equity off the duplex via re-fi and offer a cash discount to the note holder of the second. You may find an offer of forty cents on the dollar or so.