Using Power of Attorney for Insurance Check - Posted by Percy

Posted by Alex Gurevich, TX on January 18, 2000 at 16:00:55:

I signed both insurance checks and escrow refund checks made out in the seller’s name, as “myself, attorney in fact for …”. On one occassion I was requested a power of attorney which they made a copy of. On the other they did not ask for anything, as the teller knew me as a guy “who always brings all kinds of checks to deposit”.

Using Power of Attorney for Insurance Check - Posted by Percy

Posted by Percy on January 14, 2000 at 22:43:26:

What is the proper endorsement for cashing an insurance claim check when using Power of Attorney? The check is made out to the Seller. Can I merely sign the Seller and deposit it into my account?

Re: Using Power of Attorney for Insurance Check - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 15, 2000 at 04:30:04:

I had occasion to cash a check using a limited power of attorney not too long ago. Not knowing exactly how to endorse the check…I called the bank.

The bank hooked me up with a guy who suggested that I come in a show him my paperwork. So I did that. At the completion of this, he suggested that I just sign the seller’s signature and deposit the check…which I did. I laughed to myself at the time, wondering why I had felt the desire to have a power of attorney if the teller was not going to look at the check, or the power of attorney, but was simply going to deposit the check.

Personally, I think the check should be signed by you, as attorney in fact for XYZ Seller. But rather than to accept my opinion, I would do as I did…call the bank. Chances are they will look at your power of attorney, and then tell you what they want you to do.

JPiper