USPostOffice and new regulations concerning MailBoxesEtc. - Posted by Richard A.

Posted by Sean on May 14, 1999 at 20:00:41:

Some people use the drop boxes for identity theft, mail fraud and money laundering schemes. Because of the few bad apples they want to make the rest of us suffer.

USPostOffice and new regulations concerning MailBoxesEtc. - Posted by Richard A.

Posted by Richard A. on May 14, 1999 at 14:49:18:

A short time ago a number of people in this newsgroup expressed concern about the United States Post Office implementing new regulations concerning mail deliveries to “AGENTS”. These new mandates require customers of private mailbox firms to supply lots of information to the USPOD that most people objected to. I and some friends do maintain private mailboxes to retain privacy for various reasons.
I read on World Net Daily some attorney was investigating the possibility of a class action suit against the Post Office. Has anyone gone to the Civil Liberties Union with this?

Re: USPostOffice and new regulations concerning MailBoxesEtc. - Posted by diamond

Posted by diamond on May 14, 1999 at 18:46:23:

I agree with you, the reason for me using mail boxes etc. is to display professionalism in my correspondence since I can’t afford and frankly don’t need an outside office right now.
I would like to know their objective is. It’s not going to make me get a PO box at the post office, I tried that and their hours just didn’t correspond to my needs.

PMB - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on May 14, 1999 at 15:19:31:

I too am very displeased about the situation. I use Mail Boxes Etc. to help preserve my anonymity. Them requiring you to put the PMB on your letters ruins a good majority of the advantage of going through a private company. It seems to me to be a blatant attempt to force people to use PO Boxes instead of private companies.

And although I’ve already filled out forms, provided ID, etc. they want me to come back in and do it again, plus they have more questions. Basically it blows.

I would be interested in any additional information you have on preserving our privacy and/or the name of that attorney who is considering a suit. Thanks.