usufruct? - Posted by jenv

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 24, 2003 at 05:54:34:

Man, talk about having a losuy landlord. Your landlord’s a Commie, and if you default and a huge army invades!

John Hyre

usufruct? - Posted by jenv

Posted by jenv on July 23, 2003 at 01:13:40:

Seen in lease agreement: “Resident has only a usufruct and not an estate for years”.

Re: usufruct? - Posted by John Merchantf

Posted by John Merchantf on July 23, 2003 at 12:55:48:

“usufruct” is defined by my law dictionary:

“The privilege possessed by a person to the benefits of property owned by another”

Rarely used word, meaning of which I had no clue. To my knowledge and memory, I’ve never even seen it before.

What it means in your deal is the resident is only a month to month tenant with no ownership rights.

Re: usufruct? - Posted by jenv

Posted by jenv on July 23, 2003 at 20:03:50:

>What it means in your deal is the resident is only a month to month tenant with no ownership rights.

What’s the point of the language? I thought you also had no ownership rights under a standard lease.

Re: usufruct? - Posted by John Merchantffffffff

Posted by John Merchantffffffff on July 23, 2003 at 22:35:41:

“standard lease” is probably an oxymoron. Lots of ways to vary a lease, and some lessees are certainly able to sell their valuable leasehold rights.

I’ve seem 50 year residential leases, even 99 year leasef in HI used to be common, and those folk bought and sold those leaseholds regularly. And as I recall, Britain’s claim to Hong Kong was based on some such.