Utility easments - Posted by Tennessee Bob

Posted by Nate(DC) on July 05, 2002 at 21:57:40:

If their line is located on your property pursuant to a valid easement, they have the right to keep it there and to trim trees that might interfere with it.

Furthermore, you don’t have the right to tell them how to distribute electricity - i.e. to hook you up to one line instead of another. You could certainly ask, but they might say no and then you would have no real recourse.

NT

Utility easments - Posted by Tennessee Bob

Posted by Tennessee Bob on July 02, 2002 at 10:59:21:

Two years ago the local electric company installed a new line across my property to feed a new house and other lost across the road from me. An existing line crossed my property when I bought it, but this new line goes in a totally differant direction. Since then, another house has been built across the road from me and the electric company installed a new line that junps the road (not on my property) and goes across the back of the lots across the road from me to serve the new house. The utility company asked for my permission to install the first new line across my property so they could get power to the lots, and being a good neighbor, I gave my permission, but not in writing. Now the utility company wants to cut some of my trees by the first line that goes across the road. I dont want my trees to be cut and have not been compinsated for loss of land use under the first line. Do I have any rights to make them remove the first new line from my property and get power from the line that has been installed across the back of the lots?