Vacant house..need some guidance on this one - Posted by Justin

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 01, 2003 at 12:37:31:

Ron,
you’re right, of course. I mean to get the death certificate :wink:

michaela

Vacant house…need some guidance on this one - Posted by Justin

Posted by Justin on September 30, 2003 at 21:44:38:

Hi everyone…I am new to investing and i think i might of found something…I was over my relatives house visiting and i noticed a beat up house across the street with weeds and grass growing everywhere…so i went over there to find it was vacant…i then went to their neighbors and asked them who used to live there…it used to belong to an old lady, but she died 3 years ago and the house has been vacant since…They said the family members live out of state, but did not know their names or address…well where should i go from here?? thank u in advance…

Justin

Re: Vacant house…need some guidance on this one - Posted by John

Posted by John on October 01, 2003 at 08:20:19:

What I generally do is:

1. After bird-dogging the area I look up the owners on my local County Appraisal District, CAD website.

2. Search Anywho.come or a few other websites for a phone number to call them. If that does not work then I mail them a letter inquiring about the vacant property.

3. If still no luck or the letter comes back undeliverable I then look them up at www.deadleads.com. They will search unlisted information and non public records to come with information so you know you are getting accurate information and they are cheap to, $24.95.

john

Re: Vacant house…need some guidance on this one - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 01, 2003 at 07:23:23:

Justin,
go to www.rootsweb.com, where you can get access to the social security death index. Then search for the owner’s death (if you don’t know, get it from the tax records).

Write down her birth and death date and death county.

Then go to your vital statistics office and buy her birth certificate (that’s why you need those dates).
That’s be around $ 10.

It will show an informant name and address, which is usually a relative.

Then you can search in searchbug for a phone # for that person.

You can also look at the probate court for that county and see, if probate has been done for that lady.

Michaela

Re: Vacant house…need some guidance on this one - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 01, 2003 at 15:48:19:

John,
since the owner died 3 years ago, I don’t think anywho is so advanced to give out numbers to the ‘after life’ :wink:

Michaela

OPPS: Death Certificate? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on October 01, 2003 at 12:20:34:

Micheala–(GA)-------------

I think you meant to say “death certificate” rather than “birth certificate.”

Is it not true that if the owner died of old age, it is likely that his/her parents are already dead?

Good InvestingRon Starr*****

Re: Vacant house…need some guidance on this one - Posted by kris (wi)

Posted by kris (wi) on October 01, 2003 at 09:54:36:

I’m just a newbie but I can tell what has worked for me sofar. The county property tax office can tell you who is paying the property taxes on that house and the address of that person, usually a relative.