vacant property - Posted by marc

Posted by MarkHOUTX on June 05, 1999 at 10:10:55:


The cheapest way to get started is by reading the “How to Articles” and “Success Stories” on this web site.

Then, I would recommend you buy Ron Legrand’s book “Fast Cash with Quick Turn Real Estate” – $14.95. You can get it at or at Ron’s website. Here’s the URL to the order page: Go to the bottom of the page and you will see the check box to order the book.

Good Luck.

vacant property - Posted by marc

Posted by marc on June 05, 1999 at 09:57:15:

There is a house in my town that is obviously abandoned, but looks like a decent piece of property. I’ve seen references in this group to finding and buying vacant property. Can anyone tell me what I should do to find out about buying it, or recommend a book on this subject?

Also, how do I find out if it is possible in my town to convert a 2-unit to a 4-unit rental?



Re: vacant property - Posted by Evil Roy

Posted by Evil Roy on June 09, 1999 at 22:16:54:

To find out the owners, contact your locality
(village, town or county)
and enquire whether the taxes are current
(if abandoned long enuf the municipality/lender may now own)
and/or who is the “Owner of Record”.

Re: vacant property - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on June 05, 1999 at 13:08:21:

As to conversion, the city building inspection department (sometimes listed under city engineer) should be able to tell you what is needed as far as physical requirements, whether a building of that type may be converted. The Zoning office will tell you if a 4-unit building is allowed at that location. If the area is zoned R2, for example, (2 unit max) you would have to apply for a variance to add more units. In most localities, the inspections office can also tell you the zoning.

Bert G

Re: vacant property - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on June 05, 1999 at 11:13:17:

Get a copy of Joe Kaiser’s Abandoned Properties course.
You can find a complete description in our Online Catalog.