Vacated houses. Just though I'd share. - Posted by Joe(IN)

Posted by JDKastrava on March 17, 1999 at 14:26:47:

Several years ago I used to paint interiors of vacant apartments and houses. When we would pause for a break, or leave for the day, I would put a plastic bag over my paint roller, or brush to keep them from drying out. One time I told my helper to go to the kitchen and pull out (remove) the bottom drawer in a four drawer bank, look all the way in the back and bring me a plastic bag. He came back astounded and asked how I knew there would be a plastic bag there. I told him it was just human nature to store bags in a drawer, and some always fall behind the drawers.
Just a stupid bit of trivia.
JohnK(CA)

Vacated houses. Just though I’d share. - Posted by Joe(IN)

Posted by Joe(IN) on March 17, 1999 at 08:33:10:

“They always leave a chair”.

My contractor and I get the biggest laugh because we are always looking at vacant houses. It seems that no matter what the circumstances, the tenants/foreclosees always leave at least one chair in the house. The deeper meaning: I have no idea.

If my fater-in-law knew how much fun I’m having making money he would consider me a sluggard.

Joe

Re: Vacated houses. Just though I’d share. - Posted by Jason-DTX

Posted by Jason-DTX on March 17, 1999 at 22:52:53:

I get a broom in about 95% of the houses I buy. It doesn’t matter if its a junker or a nice pretty house, there is always a broom left behind. Go figure!

Jason

Re: Vacated houses. Just though I’d share. - Posted by Bob-Tx

Posted by Bob-Tx on March 17, 1999 at 09:09:52:

Another quandry for me is that they ALWAYS take ALL the light bulbs. They may have left closets full of clothes, odd pieces of furniture, books, and what not, but they always take ALL the light bulbs.
I get a kick out of that, what can I say.

Re: Vacated houses. Just though I’d share. - Posted by AJ - Oklahoma

Posted by AJ - Oklahoma on March 17, 1999 at 11:51:16:

The oddest thing I’ve seen was the house where all the little screws for the faceplates covering the light switches and electrical outlets were missing. Left all the faceplates, just took the screws. Go figure.