Value of sink hole - Posted by Roy

Posted by Dave Mckee on March 18, 2001 at 20:58:36:

Yea, I was kidding… Too much St Patrick’s day, I think…

Value of sink hole - Posted by Roy

Posted by Roy on March 17, 2001 at 10:34:28:

How much is a sink hole worth in Dunedin, Florid???

How do I arrive at a price of buying a sink hole???

Re: Value of sink hole - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on March 18, 2001 at 21:42:24:

The sink hole valuation process is a fairly simple one. Just close your eyes, then offer the seller whatever you see - i.e., nothing.

Re: Value of sink hole - Posted by Ben (FL)

Posted by Ben (FL) on March 18, 2001 at 11:26:21:

I’m not sure whether Dave is kidding or not but if you fill that sinkhole with tires, the FDEP may put you in jail, seriously. Sinkholes in Florida usually provide direct conduits from the surface to drinking water resources. You have to be very careful with what you do to, in, or around them. They also have an annoying tendency to change - sometimes they suddenly get bigger and buildings, trees, and doggies all disappear. If the sinkhole in question is now a great fishing pond, someday it could drain completely. Lake Jackson in Tallahassee drained 2 years ago. I don’t know whether it’s filled back up yet.

Call the FDEP and the Water Management District. Get a geologist’s opinion about that sinkhole and sinkhole activity around you before you buy.

Just so you know, my regular J.O.B. (hopefully for a maximum of only 2 more years) is a hydrogeologist in Pensacola, so I do know what I am talking about.

Re: Value of sink hole - Posted by Dave Mckee

Posted by Dave Mckee on March 17, 2001 at 22:58:05:

Well Roy it all depends on what use you can put to it. If you know of a used tire disposal service, I hear they are always looking for a place to discard tires. Get cash up front because they won’t want to make any payments after they fill it up. For sure don’t give them permission to dump tires in it. The DEQ would not like that.

Dave

Re: Value of sink hole - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on March 17, 2001 at 11:38:20:

Why would a sinkhole have any inherent value? I’d think you would want to pay someone to take it off your hands!