van or pickup truck - Posted by SteveOH

Posted by GL(ON) on January 24, 2007 at 10:24:10:

I used regular American long box pickup trucks for years. Then about 8 years ago I switched to Dodge mini vans.

They are great. I can buy one used way cheaper than a used pickup.There are lots around to choose from. It is easy to find one that has been gently used, not beat into the ground like most pickups.

Mine all came with built in ladder racks free of charge. I can also fit a 10 foot stepladder inside by sliding it between the seats.

Cheaper to buy, cheaper on gas and upkeep. Easier more comfortable to drive. And your tools and things are inside where they can’t get wet or stolen.

The only drawback is that once in a while you need to carry something that you can’t put in a minivan, or don’t want to put in there. Such as a refrigerator, or trash and garbage from a reno job.

For this purpose I have a little trailer. It works great. Around here at least, you buy a trailer plate and it is good for life - you don’t have to pay a fee every year. And the car insurance covers the trailer for nothing.

These days I only use the trailer once or twice a year. It surprised me because I thought the van would “need help” more frequently than that. But really, 90% or 99% of what I do can be done with a minivan.

I recommend a mini van with a trailer hitch to anybody in the landlord or reno business.

O by the way, you can rent a trailer if you don’t have room to store one or can’t be bothered keeping one around.

Now if you are really getting into the reno business in a heavy duty way, with multiple major jobs going all the time you may need a fleet of trucks. But for the average person the mini van is the best all around answer.

And look at the room you have on the side to billboard your business.

van or pickup truck - Posted by SteveOH

Posted by SteveOH on January 24, 2007 at 09:04:57:

I have to buy one or the other. I would like input from
other landlords on which they prefer. I won’t be towing
much. I need a ladder rack on whatever I buy. Thanks!

Re: van or pickup truck - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on January 25, 2007 at 14:34:05:

Steve,
While some may say a pickup truck is best, this probably has to do with the person using a pick up for a long time already.
They are nice to have.

However, on this one, I agree with GL below…dodge mini vans are fantastic work vehicles.
I drive one.
Picked it up for a LOW price, low miles, clean, no frills van.
The seats come out, so we can haul materials, remain in for transporting multiple people at once.
I also have a hitch on mine, and a roof rack, so pretty much anything can be hauled with my mini van.
The sides and rear make great billboards, and the mileage is decent as well, compared to that of a truck.

I will admit, we do have a box truck as well, for hauling larger items, and moving…its also a GREAT billboard on wheels. (I don’t NEED it, but for $700, I just could not say NO to buying it.)

The van also drives like a car, not a truck, something I like.

My van is my everyday work vehicle, when I need to carry things along, or use the phone while traveling.
Other than that, I ride my harley every where else.

For other vehicles, we also have a small foreign sports car, a Lincoln Navigator (wifes truck, she likes comfort)…and two smaller cars for my teenagers.
ALL of which have our message on them in one form or another.

Take a look around at car auctions, and classified ads.
My van used to be a fleet vehicle for an auto-parts company…a sales rep drove it.
It was clean, low miles, and cost me a mere $3k, 3 years ago, and still runs/looks nice.
MUCH better investment than a new pickup.

It also helped to haul kids to various sporting events, and school programs as well.

My vote, get a van…they are really versatile.

Take care,
Jim FL

Re: van or pickup truck - Posted by Lazaro - NC

Posted by Lazaro - NC on January 24, 2007 at 13:17:02:

I would say that the perfect convination for me as a part timer, it will be the mini van + a small trailer. On every house I do, there is always a few trips to the landfield, and everyonce in a wile the refrigerator or other appliance.

Lazaro - NC

Re: van or pickup truck - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on January 24, 2007 at 12:32:54:

I guess it comes down to how much you use it. For most part timers the minivan is ideal. If you are a full time renovator then you need the truck.

But don’t sell the minivan short. I was surprised when I bought the first one, how versatile it is and how much hard work it will do.

Re: van or pickup truck - Posted by Jay P

Posted by Jay P on January 24, 2007 at 11:32:31:

Hands down, pick-up. There is no other vehicle more versatile. I would suggest a full size with a v8 for towing a small trailer. Extended cab even better. Vans dont give you the height you need when transporting large items. If you have a lot of tools and need to lock them up buy a Husky bed box for about $250 from HDepot or a used lockable bed cover for $500.

Re: van or pickup truck - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on January 24, 2007 at 10:38:57:

Personally I have had three work vehicles in the past…Minivan, small toyota pickup, and a full size truck with 8 foot bed. I have stayed with the big trucks. I live about an hour from home depot so when I go I need to make it count and I stock up big time. The big truck is also key for dump runs. Hauling trash is a drag in a van.

I also have a 6x10 enclosed trailer. I usually leave the trailer at the job site if its a big job, so I can lock up all my tools at night.

I have a small comuter car for my daily driver and if I have to check out a property and don’t need any big tools…I usually leave the truck at home. Or once the trailer is at the site I use the small car for the back and forth trips.

Gene