Vandals! - Posted by Tony (CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr on September 22, 2001 at 17:02:51:

Tony (CA)--------------

Yes, unbroken, unprotected windows are inviting.

Good Investing and Good Protecting*****************Ron Starr*************

Vandals! - Posted by Tony (CA)

Posted by Tony (CA) on September 21, 2001 at 17:42:47:

Vandals appear to have thrown through one of the 14 new windows my handyman just finished installing on one of our rehab projects using a hammer left outside. Fran is filing a police report now. This is frustrating! How do you handle vandalism in questionable neighborhood?

Tony

Re: Vandals! - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on September 22, 2001 at 01:11:39:

Tony,
As an ex-cop turned investor, I would NEVER hire the vandals to work for me.
Just leave lights on in the house, cover the windows if you can like Ron said, and perhaps install a security system.
Someone here had mentioned previously that they had a security contract with a local vendor who allowed them to transfer to equipt to other projects when complete.
After reading this, I talked to the company that has my account here at my residence about it.
They said, “Sure, we can do that.”
I’d also get some of those fake security cameras or maybe even a cheap real one or two and place them there.
There is a website called www.stunsupply.com that carries some cheap ones.
You can get a cheap VCR for under $200 and attach a camera to it nightly.
Then at least you can prosecute if they do it again.

Also, perhaps make nice with some of the neighbors, and give them your phone number. They can look out for your house and call you if they see anything suspicous.
Good luck, and don’t let this stop ya.
Jim FL

Lor said it best… - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on September 21, 2001 at 23:01:07:

I do just about all of my work in “questionable” neighborhoods. The best thing to do is to befriend the neighbors. They appreciate you making the block look better and will watch out for your place. A few months ago, I had some neighbors who stopped a guy from climbing in the back window. They pulled him down and beat the crap out of him. Hey beats ADT :slight_smile:

Side note: Don’t hire them (vandals) to work on the INSIDE of your house. They will see the new heaters, kitchen cabinets, plumbing, AND security leaks and come back later that night to rob you blind. And the neighbors won’t stop them because they will think the vandals are working late. Happens all the time (or so I hear).

Re: Vandals! - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on September 21, 2001 at 20:12:04:

Tony-----------

What I do is put aluminum window screening over the windows. I buy rools of the screen material and narrow, thin strips of wood --say about 1/4" by 3/4" to (nominal) 1" X 2" and screw the wooden strips above, below, and to the sides of the window. The screen is under the wooden strips, held tightly against the side of the house. I’ve had no broken windows. I suppose it would not stop a harddd-working vandal who wanted to throw 5" rocks thrrough the windows. But, as I said, it has worked for me.

Just be glad they haven’t been stealing the windows out to resell. I and a partner bought a house from an owner who complained about that happening to him.

A hammer was left outside the house? That may not be the kind of workman you need.

Good Investing******Ron Starr

Re: Vandals! - Posted by Lor

Posted by Lor on September 21, 2001 at 18:41:23:

I actually hire the vandals to help me rehab. They are almost always neighborhood kids. e.g. I put a white pickett fence in front of a property and it kept getting vandalized (red paint). I heard it was some kids down the street so I went to their house and asked if they wanted a job painting the fence. The vandalism stopped plus I like to think they had some pride in their work and discouraged other kids from “ruining” their work. I also introduce myself to the neighbors on both sides of any house I’m working on and give them my phone number to call if they notice any activity going on. They then keep an eye on the house - remember, they are happy you are fixing it up.

Re: Lor said it best… - Posted by Ron

Posted by Ron on September 21, 2001 at 23:34:57:

Don’t hire vandals at all - they will paint your fence and come back that night to graffiti it so that you will pay them to do it again. If you MUST submit to this “extortion” then hire them as security for the property - if they prevent any damage until you can get it occupied give them $50.00 or whatever sounds good. Always befriend the neighbors !! They have a vested interest if they are owners.

Re: Vandals! - Posted by Tony (CA)

Posted by Tony (CA) on September 22, 2001 at 11:49:17:

I probably should have explained further. Brevity sometimes causes confusion. The handyman is actually very conscientious. He told us he?d pay for the window since he felt it was his fault for leaving the hammer outside. His son is helping with repairs to the house. They?ve parked an RV in the driveway to signal someone is living there. The son may even stay there over night occasionally. If vandals were bent on destruction, I don?t think they would have stopped at one window. We?ve already met both neighbors, too, so they are watching already. And the local police are now more aware they should keep an eye on the house.

There?s a certain amount of the feeling of helplessness that washed over me when I first heard the news and posted the message. The insurance policy has a $250 deductible (about the fix up cost), so that seems worthless. A random act of senseless adolescence, I hope. We?ll drive by tomorrow and check on it.

Tony

Re: Vandals! - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on September 22, 2001 at 17:04:27:

Tony (CA)--------------

Yes, unbroken, unprotected windows are inviting.

I like to put a light on a timer in the front room. Or two on two different timers. Have the lights come on from about 6:00am to daylight, then again from dusk to !0:00 or 10:30.

Good Investing and Good Protecting*****************Ron Starr*************