vaulted ceilings question - Posted by adam

Posted by Jim FL on September 13, 2005 at 21:13:52:

Here is the definition:

the underside of a part or member of a building (as of an overhang or staircase);

However, its easier just to look at the overhang on your house, the underside, and the front portion before it hits the roof, that is your ‘soffit and facia’.

HTH,
Jim FL

vaulted ceilings question - Posted by adam

Posted by adam on September 13, 2005 at 14:06:09:

this is just a general question for you guys. how can you tell if a ceiling can be raised? what is cost of doing so? i have a rental im looking to purchase but i would love to raise the ceiling but i dont know how to tell if it can be done and how expensive a process it is. i believe thats called a vaulted ceiling but not sure. any info will be helpful thanks guys!

Tray ceiling maybe? - Posted by Michaela-ATL

Posted by Michaela-ATL on September 14, 2005 at 11:33:04:

Have you thought of doing a tray ceiling, instead of a vault? It would give the house a lot of class and may add 12"-18" in height. Paint the sides of the tray the same color as the walls. Add some Crown molding. It looks awesome. It would run me about 1.5-2k per room to do that. DIfferent cities, different prices.

Michaela

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by Max-Va

Posted by Max-Va on September 13, 2005 at 20:43:51:

With 225+ years in construction, I have done this once. I tore out an attic and put in a catherdral ceiling. A/C, plumbing, and electrical all had to be redone. The bill was about 10K for the total job. I have more recently tore the roof off and added a 2nd story. The price was 18k on a 28 X 48 rancher, but did not include flooring, paint, and plumbing.
I would question the cost to value involved with a project like this.

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by arlanj

Posted by arlanj on September 13, 2005 at 14:52:23:

It is usually cost prohibitive:

Space available?
Lumber
Sheetrock
Electrical
Heat & air systems
Insulation
Structural supports

It is a major project involving alot more than it appears. But, it can be done.

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on September 16, 2005 at 19:54:05:

You want to do this is a RENTAL??? Why.

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by adam

Posted by adam on September 13, 2005 at 15:06:07:

thanks for fast response. what kind of money would that require? for this duplex say one floor, its pretty typical 2br/1ba. say there was room what kind of ball park number would i be looking at? $2,000? $6,000? has anyone on here done this?

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by arlanj

Posted by arlanj on September 13, 2005 at 15:28:22:

Too many variables. Will it compromise the structure. What electrical has to be moved? Heat and Air.

Am I doing it myself or hiring it all done.

I would say $6000 up.

Arlan

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by adam

Posted by adam on September 13, 2005 at 17:06:08:

i think that in the right house that will add a lot of value. has anyone on here done this on a rehab or anything? ive been curious about this so thanks for the input!

Re: vaulted ceilings question - Posted by ray

Posted by ray on September 13, 2005 at 20:24:19:

Ceilings usually cannot be raised. Talk to a house framer or carpenter to understand why.
I’ve raised ceilngs in massive remodeling projects, but they were essentially rebuilds of the house. Big job.
You can get a similar appearance for a fraction of the cost and hassle; install a soffit around the perimeter of the room to make a coffer ceiling.
Good luck and keep thinking about improving the house.
Ray

what is soffit? - Posted by adam

Posted by adam on September 13, 2005 at 21:00:58:

thanks for good input! what is soffit?