Very Angry at RE agents behaviour!! - Posted by Tim

Posted by NCPaul on January 28, 2002 at 19:12:38:

From what you have said it sounds like you have a legitimate complaint. If you want action I would take the time to submit a well thought out written complaint to the local Real Estate Commission and also send a copy to the local Board of Realtors. Calling this jackleg and giving him a piece of your mind will only vent steam and will hurt your chances of getting anything you want if you go to a higher authority. Stick to the facts in your letter and make your case about unprofessional and unethical behaviour. These are very serious violations of the Realtor’s code of conduct and even if they don’t constitute a broken law, the Board of Realtors can revoke/suspend membership for this sort of thing. (Not saying they will, but they can.)

Good Luck

Very Angry at RE agents behaviour!! - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on January 28, 2002 at 18:53:38:

Listing agent of a foreclosed property took my offer from my buyers’ agent and submitted to the bank which is out of town. The bank countered the offer and then so did I. Never heard anything for a week or so then the listing agent calls my buyers agent and asks him if I’m still interested in the house at the price I offered. I was thrilled and of course said yes. Waited a few days no response no calls nothing. We (my buyers agent and I) then called the listing agent and asked him what was going on. Oh by the way the listing was just expired too (off the MLS). He replied that if this bank was too accept my offer this time around that he would buy it before me! My buyers agent then told him we wanted to put a formal written offer in again. He responded by saying “oh he did not know what the bank was going to do now” , so my buyers agent basically blew this guy off, and now we are approaching the bank on our own. Tomorrow we will place the call and try to deal directly with the bank. But I can’t believe the attitude this real estate agent had! I felt like reporting him to someone , I don’t know maybe the Board of Realtors, but do I have a legitimate complaint? He knows what my offer is and I have a feeling he will go to the bank with an offer higher than mine. Is there anything I can do in this situation besides talk to someone at the bank directly? I don’t want to generalize all real estate agents as unethical but this is not the first time I’ve had an experience like this! I feel like calling this guy and giving him a piece of my mind.

Re: Very Angry at RE agents behaviour!! - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on January 29, 2002 at 18:01:16:

Also try complaining to his broker…although don’t be surprised if the response is less than satisfying. Birds of a feather have a way of flocking together…

NT

Association vs. Commission - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on January 29, 2002 at 11:01:48:

Tim,

You’ve gotten what I think is very good advice from both NCPaul and GL(ON). I’d merely like to add one salient point regarding the difference between the Board of REALTORS® and the state licensing commission.

Please understand that the Board of REALTORS® is nothing more than a very influential trade association, which exerts a certain amount of control over its member brokers and agents. The state licensing commission, on the other hand, regulates their ability to earn a living in their chosen profession.

Brokers and agents are supposed to adhere to a code of ethical standards in order to maintain their membership in NAR, the National Association of REALTORS®.

The worst consequence of violating the Association code would be expulsion from the Association.

Brokers and agents are required to comply with various rules, regulations and statutes (“laws”).

The worst consequence of violating the “laws” would be revocation of their real estate license and possible criminal prosecution potentially leading to fines and/or incarceration.

Which entity do you think wields the greatest power over brokers and agents?

In most instances, if I felt compelled to lodge a complaint with one, I’d also lodge a complaint with the other.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Very Angry at RE agents behaviour!! - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on January 29, 2002 at 09:24:57:

The agent’s behavior is highly unethical. You should report him to the Board. Your own agent should back you up on this.

I would also suggest you contact the bank and tell them what happened. Even if he submits the same offer or higher, they may prefer to take your offer under the circumstances.

I would also warn everyone I know against this crook. There is no excuse. He was cheating and he knew better.