Vinyl Siding - Posted by Carrie

Posted by Randy on September 24, 2003 at 12:55:52:

Siding estimates can vary dramatically from are to area, but I bought an old 1902 three bedroom two story for $32k had it sided (vinyl) cost about $4,500 and sold it for $62,500.

Vinyl Siding - Posted by Carrie

Posted by Carrie on September 24, 2003 at 12:46:16:

I own a home with cedar shake siding that has been painted many times and is peeling now. (looks pretty bad). I am trying to decide what to do - scrape and repaint or install vinyl siding. Most other homes in the neighborhood have vinyl siding. We are planning to resell in two years and want to have the house looking beautiful. So what would people prefer - vinyl or cedar shake? Also what would the cost of materials be to do a 2200 s.f. house in vinyl? Just an estimate?
Thanks.

Re: Vinyl Siding - Posted by Del_Ohio

Posted by Del_Ohio on September 24, 2003 at 16:08:57:

My Experience

Two story three bedroom. Northeast Ohio.

Tear off old aluminum siding, replace with new vinyl siding, wrap all the window trim, new soffit, facia and spouting $7,500.

Get a couple quotes, and check houses they have done, prices can vary dramatically as will quality of work.

My Viewpoints

Del-Ohio

Re: Vinyl Siding - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on September 24, 2003 at 14:42:14:

Head down to your local Menards, Home Depot, Lowe’s…whatever with your measurements and some pictures of the home and they’ll help you figure it out. Not rocket science to install. Most important part is to get the starter strip on correctly. After that just remember to leave 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap at the ends and do NOT sink the nails tight (the siding should “float” a bit). Don’t need to wrap or insulate if you’re only going to be there 2 years (it would save on heat and lessen drafts though if you did)
My guess would be about 2K for the materials. if you have it installed, add about 10K to that price.
All the best, Lyal