Walked in the front door of one of my vacant.... - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Gavin Wilkinson on September 21, 2004 at 12:30:29:

Immediately, get several fans and place them where the wet floor is. Turn them on and run them for several days. Open doors and windows, as appropriate so that air can circulate around the house rapidly. If the wood dries out quickly, it may be ok. The floors of a mobile home are cheap, so they may swell if not dried out fast.

Walked in the front door of one of my vacant… - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Briton (IN) on September 21, 2004 at 09:37:36:

rentals last night, looked to my left, and saw water in the living room! I ran back to the bathroom and saw it was coming out of the SIDE of the shower! There is a hole in the plastic wall it was just coming out of! I ran and shut the water off. I then got a push broom and started pushing the water out the back door. I do not think it was going on for more than 24 hours. After brooming all the water out i could, i got 4 rolls of paper towel and started soaking up the water. The bathroom is tile, and i think it will be alright. The hallway and living room was just wood because i just ripped up the carpet last week.

My questions. Will the wood need replaced? What else should i do that i have not done thusfar? Am i going to need to take the whole shower unit out and replace all the pipes or what? The water is hard by the way. Any suggestions would be great! Thanx in advance! BRiton (IN)

Re: Walked in the front door of one - Posted by Tom (GA)

Posted by Tom (GA) on September 23, 2004 at 15:37:42:

Don’t know if this helps any, but you can get the home replumbed if it fits the criteria.

http://www.pbpipe.com/index1.htm

Tom

Walked in the front door of one of my vacant… - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Briton (IN) on September 22, 2004 at 09:44:07:

I got fans on it yesterday afternoon. As for the shower, it was coming out of the corner closest to the door. (away from any walls) so that puzzles me somewhat. Thanks for all the advise, Briton (IN)

Re: Walked in the front door - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on September 21, 2004 at 16:40:18:

Briton,

Gavin covered the drying process well. As for the shower, I am not sure of the whole you mentioned that may need repair but don’t freak out and start pulling out the shower enclosure yet.

Typically there is an access panel in the wall behind the shower (in the next room). If not, make one. Repair the plumbing and put the panel back up. This is not usually a hard fix. Warm weather makes freezing and cracking a non-issue here so you probably have a fitting that went bad or the hard water ate through copper pipes (if you have copper).

Pex it and let it dry. Business as usual.

Tony