Wallpaper removal - Posted by Rich[FL]

Posted by Rick(CA) on January 19, 2001 at 12:35:27:

Are you saying that it was wallpapered over wallpaper and then painted over that without being removed? Sort of accumulating over the years?

If the house was built in 1907 and that’s the case, it might be worth it to “peel down” through the layers. I remember a story one time about a rehabber who did that and found out that one whole room of the house was wallpapered in stocks once the Great Depression hit and the stock market plummeted. The owner at the time lost all value in the stocks so they were worthless to him (hence using it to wallpaper - not being worth the paper they were printed on). However, like most people forget, the stock market is a long term investment vehicle where stocks are generally concerned. These “worthless” stocks were now worth a fortune! And all because the rehabber decided to “drill down”.

Please note, this is a “story”. I can’t verify the truth behind it. It was from a long time ago and I don’t remember for sure if I heard it while taking a class from a stock broker, but it stuck in my mind.

Wallpaper removal - Posted by Rich[FL]

Posted by Rich[FL] on January 18, 2001 at 12:13:00:

I am getting ready to paint the rooms in my rental and it has wallpaper trim strips near the ceiling. Anyone have any good suggestions on ways to remove wallpaper? (Other than plain old elbow grease along with some spackling compound repairs?)

While I’m at it, the walls and ceilings are coated with “years” of cigarett smoke residue that just can’t be completely removed without damaging the walls. Are there other good primers, besides Kilz, that would work well in this situation to help cover and hide the odor? I also notice that Kilz comes in oil- and water-based versions. Are there advantages to one over the other (besides easy clean-up)?

TIA,

Rich

Re: Wallpaper removal - Posted by Newbie

Posted by Newbie on January 19, 2001 at 08:33:07:

I bought my own steamer for this. It was about $50 at Home Depot and it works great. It will work on vinyl also. If the paper doesn’t come off right away, use the roller/scorer thingie to put some holes in it. Then the steam can get through. You must make sure to get off as much of the paste as you can or paint won’t stick to the wall. Sandpaper and primer will help with this. (I know - its a pain in the behind - no more wallpaper in my rentals!!) Good luck.

Re: Wallpaper removal - Posted by jeremy FL

Posted by jeremy FL on January 18, 2001 at 16:26:09:

Try this stuff called DAP(I think that is what it is called) they sell it at home depot. THey also sell a thingy that scores the paper by putting tiny little holes in it so that the liquid DAP can soak underneath and loosen the paper from the wall. So far I have had decent results with this stuff. I really think it depends on what kind of prep work was done before the paper was put up, though.

As for primers I use Killz for everything. I have tried different primers but I think kills does the best job. I buy it 5 gallons at a time, and it seems to go pretty fast. Always wear a mask with this stuff. I had my painter call me up higher than a kite one time asking me what day it was.

Re: Wallpaper removal - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 18, 2001 at 14:04:22:

U-haul rents a steamer for this. About $20.

They work pretty good. You just fill the thing with water and plug it in. Once it gets to steaming you just hold the wand over the area of paper you want to remove and the steam will loosen the glue up and the paper should just peal off.

If U-haul doesn’t have one then check with a local paint & wallpaper store. They should have them also.

Re: Wallpaper removal - Posted by JohnKS

Posted by JohnKS on January 18, 2001 at 13:43:38:

Rich …
I’ve used a heat gun (careful not to torch the place) to remove wallpaper. They’re cheap, and usually come with a variable temperature control. Try the “low” setting first, and work your way up. Might not work with vinyl wallcovering … never tried it.
JohnKS

Re: Wallpaper removal - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on January 18, 2001 at 18:07:28:

If you want your painter to love you buy “Kilz 2” next time. Doesn’t cover quite as well as regular kilz on stains but should work just fine as a primer. It is formulated for use indoors without the we-gonna-get-high fumes. I beleive the thingy to cut holes in wallpaper is called a Paper Tiger, just hope the walls were primed.

Re: Wallpaper removal - Posted by Alex

Posted by Alex on January 18, 2001 at 20:30:41:

Anyone know if this method works when wallpaper has been painted over?
I have a house built in 1907 and the decorating history goes something like:
Wallpaper
Wallpaper
Wallpaper
Paint
Wallpaper
Paint
Paint
Wallpaper
Wallpaper

And, the room has one wall of lath/plaster and 3 walls of sheetrock (which means there aren’t quite so many layers).

I’m thinking it might be easier to just drywall over the top of the whole mess and be done with it.

Thoughts?