Want to become a RE developer - Posted by adam

Posted by wes on May 01, 2006 at 12:53:34:

One example: You come to the table with the land and they do the work.

Want to become a RE developer - Posted by adam

Posted by adam on April 29, 2006 at 18:35:52:

I have a question for those seasoned property developers. What is the best route to learn the tools of the trade? do i go and get a masters degree in RE development (currently have a BA in economics), was thinking of becoming an appraiser and start working in the field to get a feel for it while making some money. I know I don’t want to become a realtor. I want to develop midrise condo/lofts and luxury home subdivsions.

thank for all of your insight.

adam

Get the Right Job - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on April 30, 2006 at 07:35:51:

I give you credit for aiming high. But you gotta pay some dues before you earn the title of developer.

If a law student told me he wanted to be the next Johnnie Cochran, and asked how to do it----> I would tell him to hire on with a top-flight plaintiff’s firm, work his butt off for 5-6-7-8 years, and learn everything possible. Identify the best and brightest trial lawyer in the firm and latch on.

College degrees will teach you very little practical stuff (I have three of 'em). They are door-openers. Education provides some excellent raw material, but that’s it.

Try to identify a developer in your area who is doing the kind of projects you want to do. See if you can intern with them, or hire on in some capacity. Try to figure out a way where you can be of value to the firm.

Re: Want to become a RE developer - Posted by zach

Posted by zach on April 29, 2006 at 19:50:46:

Find a good deal do a joint venture with an established firm and let them walk you through it. Once you get it down go off on your own and take in all the profit.

Re: Want to become a RE developer - Posted by Rashad

Posted by Rashad on April 30, 2006 at 21:16:23:

What would you be able to offer a developer in a joint venture??? This would be good to know

Re: Want to become a RE developer - Posted by zach

Posted by zach on May 01, 2006 at 04:06:47:

That will depend on how much control over the deal you would want/can be responsible for and just depends on the deal itself.

Re: Want to become a RE developer - Posted by Rashad

Posted by Rashad on May 01, 2006 at 07:59:01:

well more experience would be nice, as it could be added to my resume, with some money. My question still is what would be attractive to a developer to work with someone who is inexperienced or with little experience?