Washers & Dryers For Apts - Posted by Casey

Posted by dave on January 26, 2008 at 16:40:18:

I make tenants responsible for maintenance on all appliances in my units. This reduces wear and tear immensely. The amount of calls greatly reduced. I also only replace appliances in units if a turn over occurs.
I have had washer and dryers left over in units and give them to tenants and explain they will not maintained. I have a scrapper that takes them out of my units when they die for free. I then do not pay for removal or for maintenance. If they are already present fine but I would never purchase a washer or dryer for a tenant. refrigerators and stoves are enough as far as I’m concerned. The tenants tear up appliances so have it in your lease to bring the burden of repairing appliances on the tenants. I also tell tenants if my appliance disappears it is considered felony theft. That is theft over the value of $500. I make it clear with tenants they must agree to use what is in the unit and not remove it. If the appliances are old I may replace then when a turn over occurs if the old unit has been damaged by a previous tenant. This way the security deposit is doing its job. In one city I have rentals I can get a delivered and set up used refrigerator and stove for $250 dollars. If its higher end I may get a new set delivered. I have boarding homes I provide free laundry! I also get a extra charge to pay utilities and ect.

Washers & Dryers For Apts - Posted by Casey

Posted by Casey on January 21, 2008 at 09:05:14:

How much value does a washer and dryer add to an appt for monthly rent. $30 a month $40 any idea? I have a one bedroom and the lady really wants one and I just wanting to know what the average one is worth.

Thanks
Casey

Re: Washers & Dryers For Apts - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on January 23, 2008 at 07:17:32:

I used to put w/d in my rental units. one of my dumbest ideas ever. I got no extra rent, and had to fix them all the time. and some walked off when tenants vacated.

if you’re gonna do it—>get some extra rent. I get an extra $20 a month for refrigerators, which is about 5% of what it costs me. when the tenant vacates, pull the w/d. and negotiate with any new tenant for the w/d. do not let them use it for no extra charge. its better to have them collecting dust. you will only get 5-6 years of use out of these things because of theaccelerated wera and tear from tenants.