Washington Licence looks scarey! - Posted by Mark B

Posted by Larry on September 19, 2004 at 10:44:56:

When I was in Washington state, I looked around and found a small business(locksmith in my case) that would let me put a file cabinet and telephone in their office, a small sign in their window, and they would call me on my cell phone if anyone showed up to find me. Cost me $50/month.

This and a $30,000 insurance bond seemed to satisfy the DOT.

Washington Licence looks scarey! - Posted by Mark B

Posted by Mark B on September 19, 2004 at 09:38:39:

G’day all,

I have just tripped across this site, and it looks like a wealth of information. I have Lonnie’s book on order and excited about learning the ropes.

I thought I’d better jump onto the Washington state DOL website, and its a little discouraging to say the least.

Key points are:

• In one twelve month period, you can sell four (4) cars that are registered to you. The 5th sale (or selling any vehicle not owned, registered, or titled to you) is considered dealer activity.

• Thirty thousand dollars for mobile home, park trailer, and travel trailer dealers.

• To qualify for any class of vehicle dealer license, the applicant must have an “established place of business” in Washington state, as follows"
    A properly zoned commercial building where business records are kept, and
    A permanent exterior sign, and
    A business telephone listing, and
    The business must keep normal office hours.

Anyone have any experience with this, or do those in Washington state simply operate “under the radar”?

Cheers,

Batts

scarey - heh heh heh - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 20, 2004 at 10:55:57:

yes, daunting. But Both John and Larry have good advice. AND, there is the possibility of waiver . . . check the RCW.

Where are you, Mark?

Re: Washington Licence looks scarey! - Posted by John

Posted by John on September 19, 2004 at 17:13:29:

So are you close to the 4 max in one year limit?

You’ve hit upon how we normally deal with this in WA, by making deal with MH dealer, to use his location, ad, phone, etc…or just some other office, as you’ve done.

But I advise newbies to wait until they actually have done 4 in a year before doing anything about licensing, as it’s not necessary until then…and lots of newbies with big plans never get that far.