WAY out of my comfort zone-- Need to repo a car----HELP!!! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 19, 2000 at 11:38:12:

Ben:

I never recommended for Steph to repo the car.

My posting is titled, It’s time for the REPO man.

In all honestly what’s going to happen to Steph is, when she contacts a Repossession Company
or Repo man, or even goes to a Used Car lot, or Auto Dealership. They’re going to advise her
accordingly. I think common sense dictates that.

That’s why I sent here there.

I met Steph in Atlanta. She’s gutsy. Knowing Steph might consider doing it on her own, I tried
to send the message of the only way it could be considered.

When Steph goes to the sources that I sent her to, They will tell her, her rights, and what action
has to take place, including notifying law enforcement.

I felt running a credit report to find a new address, and then driving by that address to verify that
the car is there, would save Steph some time and money.

Ben, Communication is the responsibility of the Communicator.

Obviously I did a poor job or you wouldn’t have corrected me. Based on that, I’m with you.
I just didn’t want you to think that I would give advice that would be considered irresponsible.

Ed Garcia

WAY out of my comfort zone-- Need to repo a car----HELP!!! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on April 19, 2000 at 09:14:49:

not a real property question, but i thought maybe some of you mobile experts might know this one…

i leased a car i was unable to sell back in december to a guy that has now just lost his job, gotten arrested, and totally missed a payment. he has been late before, but this time he has told me he will “just be a fugitive” and that he doesn’t have the money!! i have rec’d a cancellation of the insurance. i have always worked with him, but this time he flat out says he doesn’t have a means to pay it, but that he WILL NOT return the car. He says I won’t be able to find him anyway, as he is moving to another city, and living out of the car!!

my lease says i can pick the car up after three days delinquent…

So I guess i’mm off to repo… How do i find this guy if he has relocated?
anyone had experience with this?
is there anything else i need to worry about?
stuff to watch out for? what about his stuff in the car? since he says he is living out of it, do i have to return the stuff to him IF i find the car, and if all his worldly possesions are in it??

HELP!

thanks
steph in tex

Re: WAY out of my comfort zone-- Need to repo a car----HELP!!! - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on April 20, 2000 at 09:46:54:

My wife was in the car biz for over 10yrs. (in OK) Her business financed their own vehicles to people with bad/damaged credit. Many times they would end up having to repo the vehicle because of nonpayment.

A few tips:
DO NOT repo the car yourself. You could end up dead. Even with a key it will take you three times as long to get the vehicle when compared to a professional. The repo men that worked for my wife’s dealership were faced on more that one occassion with potentially life threatening situations when trying to repo a car.

Hire a professional. If you live in a state that allows you to “snatch and grab” the car without going to court, make sure that your repo man is bonded. My wife’s dealership was sued on several occasions by people who were mad after their car was repossessed.

Most professionals use a towtruck and can get the car and be gone in a couple of minutes if the car is readily accessible.

Inventory all the private property in the car after it is repossessed and have the person sign a statement to the effect that they have received all their possessions from the car. Again, this is to keep you out of court.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME–THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on April 19, 2000 at 12:56:57:

I have contacted the police dept, and have a call in to a “repo-man” that handles individual repos…

i must confess that Ed was right- I did consider doing it myself… but in light of all the other issues…
i think i’ll pass!
and besides… my time is BEST spent doing DEALS!!
If this were RE i’d be calm as a cucumber :slight_smile:

thanks everybody-
it’s sure nice to know you’re all still there for me!

i’ll keep you all posted on the outcome

steph in tex

Try repoman.com - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on April 19, 2000 at 11:17:37:

steph,

They’ve got a nationwide directory and a newsgroup!

Good luck,

ray

Re: WAY out of my comfort zone-- Need to repo a car----HELP!!! - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on April 19, 2000 at 10:54:29:

Steph,

Like has been said you should be able to find someone to do the repo for you, some wrecker services do it also. Approximately 100-150 bucks. They should also be able to lead you to people that can skip trace, I think for around 35-50 bucks. The people doing the repo, should call the police as they find the car, I’m pretty sure that’s how it’s handled nowadays.

Of course, check in your area, but a few talks with local people and you’ll have the scoop.

David Alexander

P.S. Dont do it yourself it’s not worth it.

Re: WAY out of my comfort zone-- Need to repo a car----HELP!!! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on April 19, 2000 at 10:37:31:

Steph,
Check the laws in your state regarding Repossession of vehicles.
You may be required to notify the man who has it now that you are going to repo it, in writing.
Also, when you do go to get the car, you will need to have all your paperowrk in order and with you.
The police should also be notified that you are going to do this.
That way, should they get a call that someone is stealing his car, they will know what is really happening.
And, they may even come out for you and “keep the peace” to insure your safety.

Frankly, I have repoed cars before, and it can go smoothly, or it can get rather hairy.
Since this clown has already shown you that he can and will become violent, I would definitely notify the cops and not go alone to get it.

If it is cheap enough, calling a repo company may be a good idea for you.

As far as finding him, this can be rather easy, or difficult, depending on how clever he is.
If you have trouble finding him, drop me an e-mail and let me know.
We can discuss some ways to find him.
I used to be a P.I. and a cop, so I may have some tips for you,
Jim IL

Re: P.S. - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 19, 2000 at 09:52:31:

P.S.

when the Repo man or Company reposess the car. Thy automaticlly notify the police.

Re:It’s time for the REPO man… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 19, 2000 at 09:47:08:

Steph:

It’s time for the REPO man.

You can look around in the phone book to see if you can find Repossession Co., or Repo man.
If you can’t, then check out a few used car lots or auto dealerships to find out who they’re using.
Many of them do their own repossessing, so you might even see what they would charge you to
do the job.

Before you do that, run another credit report on the person you leased the car to. This may give you
a new address on the guy. If it does go by the address and see if the car is any where around.
Steph, do not address the man to take the car from him. If you have a extra key ( which you should
have) then take a friend and quietly drive the car away. If you don’t have an extra key then after
locating your party. Just let the Repo man do his job.

I don’t want to see you get hurt or in trouble.

Now my song:

Repo man, Repo man, I gotta go find me a Repo man. Repo man, Repo man, I gotta go find me a Repo man.

Good luck Steph,

Ed Garcia

Just contact a private repo company - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on April 19, 2000 at 09:35:37:

unfortunately, I had to go through this. In order to help out an ex-girlfriend with bad credit I signed a car loan with the understanding that SHE make the payments. (can you say naive?) she didn’t and credit marks began to show up on my credit report. I just contacted a private repo service from the yellow pages, gave them her address, description of the car and faxed them the title. They even found the car where she was hiding it two blocks away from her house, took it and even sold it for me. They held her possessions for her to pick up. The car may even be in police impound. Not a big hassle.

Be careful Steph - Posted by Blane

Posted by Blane on April 19, 2000 at 09:28:45:

Hi steph,
This guy is heading off the deep end. If he got violent over trying to steal gas, he may turn on you if you catch up to him as well. Better to not be alone with this guy even in public. Just from what you posted makes me a little nervous too. Depending on what he owes you, may be safer to just write him off. Sorry, I detect no good outcomes at this point.

Keep us posted and be careful.

Blane

PS/ he was arrested… - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on April 19, 2000 at 09:19:25:

he was arrested when he got into a fight with a service station attendant when he tried to steal gas.
apparently he filled up, and had no money to pay.

i nervous about this one

Call JPiper “He’s yer man” - Posted by Cal R

Posted by Cal R on April 20, 2000 at 06:44:10:

Call the Pipe steph. You know you want too!

Cal

Re: Try repoman.com - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on April 19, 2000 at 11:51:01:

Ray,

I like your answer. Sweet an clean. I wish I would have given it.

Ed Garcia

I don’t agree with Ed… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on April 19, 2000 at 10:32:47:

even if you have a key do NOT attempt to take this car yourself! what if the guy is out on bail and sees you taking his car? What if he does not realize it was you who took it and reports the car stolen, then you get arrested? Go through the proper channels.

Re: PS/ he was arrested… - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on April 19, 2000 at 09:37:12:

Steph, First of all you need to tell your local police department just what has been posted here. They need to know you are going to repo the car, and appearantly from a bad apple of sorts. This just comes with the territory (welcome to the territory). I hope that your deal is in the black money wise.
There are folks who will pick up this car for you. Check with the local towing company or the slimiest junkyard that you can find. You might ask your bank who they use to repo cars. Now about his belongings (off the record) tuff cookies.
Be careful this is not worth getting hurt over. One more thing(sort of off the record) this is your car now so I quess if you find it and just disable it on the spot…who knows? …ED