Ways to prepare for boot camp - Posted by CR Smith

Posted by Mr. H (IN) on July 06, 2007 at 09:50:33:

Get plenty of sleep before you go because you will not get much during the weekend. Networking goes on 'til all hours of the morning.

Bring a small notepad and pen to jot some things down during the after-hours networking. Participate (listen) in the different groups of folks who gather and talk. When I went last year, I didn’t do much talking at all - plenty of listening.

You may want to re-read Lonnie’s books beforehand to freshen up on some info.

Ways to prepare for boot camp - Posted by CR Smith

Posted by CR Smith on July 06, 2007 at 09:37:47:

I was never in the military, but I wouldn’t go to Parris Island out of shape and with donut glaze caked around my pie hole…so, aside from perhaps writing down some questions, are there any other ways I can prepare so as to maximize learning? What strategies do some people use to “get it all down” so to speak? I’ve thought about bringing my laptop because I can type faster than I can write.
Are we given some literature to take home?

Very much looking forward to the whole experience.

Re: Ways to prepare for boot camp - Posted by rise2it (VA)

Posted by rise2it (VA) on July 06, 2007 at 21:24:49:

Yeah, notes are important, so the biz cards are a good idea (wish I’d had some with me the first time).

The after-hours are where it’s at - you’ll actually be disappointed when 2am rolls around and people start leaving to catch a few hours sleep.

:slight_smile:

I only wish the seminars/meetings my main job forces me to attend were 1/10th as productive as these boot camps have been…

Bootcamp checklist - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 06, 2007 at 16:02:47:

business cards. Lots of business cards. You’ll be giving them out, and you’ll be using them to write down nuggets of wisdom on the fly. You wont want to carry around a big spiral or your computer, but when somebody says, “I always say these words:” and it strikes you as gold, back of a business card is perfect. Bring 100.

Sleep a lot beforehand. It probably won’t help, but it sounds good. Usually, after hours peters out around 1 or 2 am, but it could go longer - depends on you. Likely, if you are still fresh, somebody will be willing to stick around with you.

Re-read Lonnie’s books before you go. It will help prevent dumb questions that are easily answered already.

Lots of money to buy people beers.

Re: Ways to prepare for boot camp - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on July 06, 2007 at 11:59:23:

Arrive well rested and ready to meet some really neat people.
Have a little notebook for quick notes on the fly.
COMFORTABLE outfits and shoes… Leave the three piece suit at home! (We have some nice hills round here)
Biz cards are a good thing. (ask for them as well)
An open mind.

There are two distinct aspects of the boot camp, The classroom & tour where you learn the who, what, when, where, and why Scott & Tony do thier deals.

The second part is the after hours & lunch time networking where folks that activlily doing deals hang out and tell war stories and brainstorm ideas. These meeting can go in to the wee hours and if you crash at 9pm you’ll miss a lot of what is offered by this event.

Above everything else once you are on your return trip home formulate a plan to turn what you learn in to ACTION and not just put it on a shelf to collect dust. These guys are the real deal and if you take action on what you learn the rewards are great =)

See ya there!

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Re: Ways to prepare for boot camp - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on July 06, 2007 at 11:32:33:

Biz cards an excellent idea.

It also helps to understand your own market as much as possible- i.e., talk to sellers, PMs and lenders in your area so you know how you’ll use your new knowledge.

see you there,

Anne

Re: Ways to prepare for boot camp - Posted by Ruben (KCKS)

Posted by Ruben (KCKS) on July 06, 2007 at 10:29:01:

Take business cards with you. Having a contact E-mail on the card helps as well.

Ruben