Wet Carpets - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by phil on January 17, 2001 at 08:37:59:

Roger, I have a home that I have had the carpet cleaned and it still has a musty smell. Could you please tell me the name of the product you are referring to? I have heard of something called Kilz that works on walls but I am hesitant to try it on carpet without knowing.
Thanks,
-Phil

Wet Carpets - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 16, 2001 at 09:54:20:

Have a nice bank-repoed mobile with 3 rooms of wet carpets from pipe breaks. Breaks are now repaired. The carpets are quite nice and clean (i.e.- no pets) but have been wet for 2 weeks in freezing weather. We have turned the heat on, installed a de-humidifier and fans. Once dry, we’ll deodoerize if necessary- I would hope that mildew and the like would not develop in freezing weather. Is this so?

Any suggestions? Anything else we can or should do to ensure that the carpets are not ruined?

John Hyre

Thanks guys! (nt) - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 17, 2001 at 06:58:39:

nt

Re: Wet Carpets - Posted by Roger - TX

Posted by Roger - TX on January 16, 2001 at 22:32:10:

If the carpet still has an odor when you are finished I have the name of a product that removes most odors, even pet odors.

Re: Wet Carpets - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on January 16, 2001 at 12:06:06:

Hey John,

Once they thaw out, have someone attack that carpet with a high powered wet vac. You need something with some power. It will get a good majority of the water out and even some from the padding. You may want to lay the carpet over and expose padding if possible so that the dehumidifier can work it’s magic. Wet padding, especially if pets have been in there, is going to make a stong smelling show.

Tony-VA