What gets answered and what doesn't... - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 16, 2002 at 09:44:48:

Thanks Joe. This is a great place to test ideas and gain knowledge. Thanks for your contributions here- they help me manage the load and contribute in areas where I’m not an expert.

John Hyre

What gets answered and what doesn’t… - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 13, 2002 at 06:27:09:

I’ve received a few emails wondering why I haven’t answered x question. While I suddenly have more time to devote (no more job) to this site, my time is still finite and I do cull certain questions. Where’s the rhyme, where’s the reason?

1. Subject Matter: My areas of practice are tax and asset protection. I can normally answer questions on those topics with high authority and little research. I answer some questions that stray from those areas because my legal training gives me a clue…but if I am not sure or would have to reaearch a question, I tend to skip the question. If your question is better answered elsewhere (i.e.- more of a business or financial issue), I will often direct you to the apprpriate forum. Please don’t ask me for forms…there are two reasons that I do not give those away. First, creating a good one takes time- I am not inclined to simply give that away. Second, using a form without understanding and without using a local attorney to review it is normally madness- penny wise, pound foolish in a very serious way. Too many people using too many free forms with no clue whatsoever…that’s a pet peeve for me, and a danger for the user.

2. No free ride: I’ve answered questions o CREOL for better than five years now. I’ve always done it in the spirit of contribution, to return the favor for the information I’ve gotten from the site. In short, before hosting this newsgroup, I answered fewer questions and with no profit motive. Now I get lots of questions (that take time to answer) AND wish to give away useful info, but not so much that I get no clients! Some questions are ennumerated lists of detailed points or the length of War and Peace…in short, someone figures I’ll do specific legal work for free, as opposed to answer general questions…that someone would be wrong, I gotta make a living!

3. Who is asking the question? If a CREOL regular asks a question, I am more likely to answer it. For example, Johnboy is unsurpassed in the quantity and quality of useful posts he makes. If he asks a question, I am more likely to go out of my way to answer. Frequency of posted questions doesn’t always help- if I get the feeling that someone is using this forum instead of a lawyer or tax professional (BAD idea!), I tend to answer very briefly, or not at all, or hedge. This is an educational tool, not Legal Aid!

4. Mood. Sometimes I skip a question and come back to it later…usually because I’m not in the mood to answer, particularly if the question requires a longer answer. I might be in the mood later. After a scotch or two, perhaps.

If I do not answer your question, you probably shouldn’t take it personally…I strive to help out here, but I can and will protect my time and livlihood. Post away, nobody faults you for asking…and someone with more of a clue than I have might answer, particularly on non-tax/asset protection topics.

John Hyre

The Verdict - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on July 15, 2002 at 16:49:56:

John,

Lets me see if I’ve got this straight. For a bottle of good scotch, you’ll answer any question at length. But your comments closer to the end of the post will make no sense whatsoever, due to your declining condition. Got it.

Karl

NO More Job? - Congrats NT - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on July 14, 2002 at 08:42:09:

Re: What gets answered and what doesn’t… - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on July 13, 2002 at 07:21:44:

Nice comments Mr. Hyre…I sometimes post a question or 2 not to avoid a trip to my attorney’s office but to see your opinion. It gives me an idea of the speed that my trip should be! Sometimes I post an answer not because I am an attorny but because I have experienced that same scenario and can give an answer based on what my attorney has just done about it.

I always value yours and other regular investor’s posts. It seems that many “new” people think that this business can be jumped into and then ask questions later on how to get out of a situation. If they would just gain some knowledge first they will find that not only will they be more successful but have a less stressful time doing it! Thanks JHyre for your help.

Re: The Verdict - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 16, 2002 at 09:46:40:

And if the scotch is of lousy quality, I’ll do the IRS a favor and answer tax questions the “other” way!

John Hyre

Re: NO More Job? - Congrats NT - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on July 16, 2002 at 09:45:35:

Thanks, Frank. It a heckava feeling!

John Hyre