What happened to William Mckorkle ? ( nt ) - Posted by Ken

Posted by Bert G on April 24, 2000 at 12:44:20:

I doubt anyone outside of REI or the Infomercial biz would even recognize the name. The Dapper Don was big news. If not for this website, I’d never have even heard of McKorkle. The media follows what it thinks will sell newspapers. Once McKorkle went away, they forgot about him.

BG

What happened to William Mckorkle ? ( nt ) - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on April 23, 2000 at 19:13:32:

( nt )

He does still have a website - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 23, 2000 at 22:42:56:

Here’s what happened (Federal Inmate #3995040). - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on April 23, 2000 at 22:26:31:

From his local paper:

Infomercial gurus to forfeit $10 million
ORLANDO, Fla., Nov. 6, 1999 (UPI) An Orange County, Fla., jury has ordered infomercial gurus William and Chantal McCorkle to forfeit their $10 million in assets to the federal government.
The McCorkles were convicted Wednesday of fraud and money laundering for defrauding consumers out of millions of dollars. Late Thursday, jurors decided the couple should lose their home, four cars and more than $7 million in cash that were seized in a May 1997 raid.
Some of the cash was to be used to pay their attorney, F. Lee Bailey.
The McCorkles used television infomercials to peddle bogus get-rich- quick real estate invesment programs, and prosecutors said they delayed sending refunds to dissatisfied customers.
The couple denied misleading people and contended that they refunded millions of dollars. They did not testify on their own behalf.
U.S. Attorney Paul Byron estimates the McCorkles will get between 21 and 30 years each when they are sentenced in late January. They will remain jailed pending sentencing.
When the jury’s guilty verdicts were read Wednesday, Chantal McCorkle wept uncontrollably and her husband passed out, went stiff and then jerked awake.
He was taken by ambulance to an Orlando hospital where he was admitted overnight and marshals were posted outside his room.
Doctors said he likely had suffered an anxiety attack, but observers said it had been another dramatic performance by the stylish entrepreneur, who projected an image of wealth and the high life on television commercials nationwide.
Authorities said the McCorkles’ operation grossed $40 million to $50 million over the past six years.

Re: What happened to William Mckorkle ? ( nt ) - Posted by mrcapital

Posted by mrcapital on April 23, 2000 at 20:07:03:

He is spending 20 years with the butt-pirates for fraud. (Rumor has it)

Re: He does still have a website - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on April 24, 2000 at 24:05:15:

You don’t seriously think that’s his site, do you?

Joe

Re: Here’s what happened (Federal Inmate #3995040). - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on April 24, 2000 at 16:04:39:

Now let me get this straight. The McKorkles stole the money fair and square, but they got caught and sent to the big house.
So the court system then stole the money fair and square.
When will the little people who got ripped off, get thier money back ?

Re: Here’s what happened (Federal Inmate #3995040). - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 24, 2000 at 03:01:35:

John-

I read the same article back when he was sent away. His case and info on where he was sent to serve his time and how he is doing have not been published as far as I can find. Kind of odd-I mean usually when a big name goes to jail such as John Gotti you hear some follow up. There is definately some interest still in Willy J. because you see posts on this board every so often inquiring about his whereabouts.

-Chris

Re: He does still have a website - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 24, 2000 at 08:09:30:

I have no idea, but there it is.