What is a wrap-around mortgage? - Posted by ChrisW

Posted by Michele on February 08, 2001 at 12:41:57:

Ok, I’m confused… If there is an existing loan amount of $60k, and a new loan for $80k are we adding those together or is the $80k encompassing the $60k? And if we’re adding them together, we would actually have loans totalling 140k… $40K more than the sale price. And does this mean the borrower pays the seller for the agreed amount towards the $80k, then the seller would use that money to continue to pay his bank toward the remaining $60k? I’m obviously very new to this concept, and was better at English than Math in school, so is there another way to break this down. Kind of like “Wrap around Mortgages for Dummies”? I hope I don’t sound too much like an idiot.

What is a wrap-around mortgage? - Posted by ChrisW

Posted by ChrisW on February 07, 2001 at 22:50:19:

What is a wrap-around mortgage?

Re: What is a wrap-around mortgage? - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on February 08, 2001 at 10:05:27:

Chris,

A Wrap-around Mortgage, is when the seller creates a new loan, encompassing their existing loan or financing, should they have a second mortgage as well as a first.

Example: The sale of a $100,000 property with a $20,000 cash down payment by the buyer and an assumable senior loan balance of $60,000, creating a $20,000 shortage, can be financed by the seller who would carry back a new wraparound loan for $80,000. This wrap-around would require the borrower to make the payment on the $80,000 while the seller would retain the responsibility for making the required payment on the undisturbed existing $60,000 loan.

Ed Garcia

Re: What is a wrap-around mortgage? - Posted by AnnNC

Posted by AnnNC on February 19, 2001 at 22:03:43:

What is the advantage of this vs the seller taking back
a 2nd for $20K? Or how do they differ?