What is considered a large portfolio of lenders/investors for a MORTGAGE company? - Posted by Tony James

Posted by Ed Garcia on December 12, 1999 at 01:58:10:

Tony:

Steve is right. I had a broker on this very site that stated he was working with 400 lenders.

Think about that. That’s absurd. If you are working with a lender, to be effective. You have
to give them a certain amount of business. Now if you gave each one of those lenders just one
deal. That’s 400 deals a month, I don’t think so.

A good Broker will have at least two of everything. They will have a couple of fannie mae
lenders, 2 or 3 sub prime lenders, 2 or 3 hard money lenders, 2 or 3 banks or S&L’s, and
2 or 3 finance companies such an Avco, Bene, Assoc. A good broker will know how to work
these lenders to establish a working relationship. The main thing a good broker needs to learn
in order to be good, is to not get into a comfort zone, and treat your customer like you want to
be treated. A good broker knows how to work one lender against another, with out making them
feel like they’re being worked.

When I state that the broker should not get into a comfort zone, I mean to constantly be looking
for new programs or as we say in the industry, WHO’S SWINGING.

I hope this gives you a little better idea what to look for, when looking at your broker.

Ed Garcia

What is considered a large portfolio of lenders/investors for a MORTGAGE company? - Posted by Tony James

Posted by Tony James on December 11, 1999 at 19:20:39:

The Mortgage company I dealt with had a list of 70 different investors…is this considered a large amount?

lenders/investors for a MORTGAGE company? - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on December 13, 1999 at 12:16:39:

As a net branchmortgage company, we do have 423 lenders we are approved with- but if you think about it, how feasible is THAT??lol

Better is to find the ones who work, are consistant with their programs, keep their account executives up to date and who have a decent underwriting turnaround…
Thanks,

Karl Hartley