What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by Nick

Posted by Michael Murray on March 28, 1999 at 22:12:06:

nt

What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on March 24, 1999 at 07:33:21:

Hello everyone;

Hi, I read Napoleon Hill’s book, Think and Grow Rich.
It is a good book.

I just finished reading the book for the sixth time! You
see, in the book, Napleon Hill states in the introduction
that “all successful people have this one thing in common,
and in this book, in each chapter you will find hints of what that secret is, you must find it, and when you do discover it, it will transform your life forever”.

I think I know what that secret is. Could it be self
suggestion, you know, when you talk to yourself? Is that it,
or is it something else?

Re: What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on March 29, 1999 at 14:28:52:

We all dance in a ring and suppose
But the secret sits in the middle and knows.

Robert Frost, The Secret Sits

'Doesn’t apply either, of course, but it’s the only poem short enough for me to remember all the way through. And its the same “secret” Napoleon Hill refers to.

Bill

P.S., OK, the “Secret.” What I finally learned, after pondering the same question for many years, is that one either gets back 10 times what he/she honestly puts forth (good or bad), or gets back nothing. In other words, there are three gears here: Positive, Negative and Neutral. This is, as a matter-of-fact, the very basis for the concepts of tithing and prayer (i.e., “release” and “affirmation”).

Look at it like this: When you cast money (the essence of wordly being or achievement) and/or thought (the essence of spiritual being) into the Universe, they are returned to you in refined, expanded and finished form (your “growth”)… multiplied by ten (“rich”).

NEGATIVE GEAR: Should those ideas (thoughts) or objectives be malevolent, the universe couldn’t care less–they still come back in the 10X proportions; but leave you forever pondering why someone so smart and successful could be so terribly unhappy and unfulfilled… and beset with so many life problems.

NEUTRAL GEAR: Should your thoughts (your “conceptions”) be wholly decent but all, or predominatly, self-serving, the positivity of the hope within them is neutralized by the negativity of their selfishness. As a result you can only end up exactly where you started from… wondering everyday why nothing you try ever works right, and why your prayers or affirmations are never answered. It’s “up” one minute, and “down” the next: success followed by failure, one after another, after another (after a long period of being broke, you win $2,000 at the track, then find the next day that you just got hit with a tax lien).

POSITIVE GEAR: Should your thoughts (hoped for gain or achievement) be openly clear, well designed and wholly, or largely (mostly)unselfish: you only need to stand right where you already are in order to reap all the rewards of the flow back to you.

How long does all this it take, once set into practice? Exactly 1.75 seconds.

Why am I sharing this with you? Because it will come back to me in exactly… Oops! There it is now! Whoopee!

See!

Bill

"As a man thinketh in his heart . . . - Posted by The Baze

Posted by The Baze on March 25, 1999 at 19:57:10:

. . . so is he." - Proverbs 23:7

“It is the mind that maketh good of ill, that maketh wretch or happy, rich or poor.” - Edmund Spencer

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.” - The Buddha

“It is much less what we do than what we think, which fits us for the future.” - Phillip James Bailey

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

“Hold a picture long enough in your minds eye and you will be drawn to it.” - Dr. Harry Emerson Fosdick

All of these are the basic premise of Hill’s book. Hope it helps.

Tom Bazley

Re: My 2 cents - Posted by Mike8675

Posted by Mike8675 on March 25, 1999 at 09:56:18:

I thought the secret was and is “persistence”. That’s what every person in the book had in common…well, not just people in the book, everyone that’s successful. My 2 cents.
Mike8675

Re: What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by L.A.

Posted by L.A. on March 25, 1999 at 02:05:46:

Did U figure it out yet???

How hard can it be? - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on March 24, 1999 at 23:14:13:

Isn’t it odd that there have been numerous reply posts to that question, and they have all been different? Was the answer that obscure? That vague? That elusive? Perhaps the secret reveals itself to each of us in different ways?
It has been a lot of years since I read that book, but it seems to me the secret was the Mastermind Group. You should have a group of like-minded thinkers to present ideas to and to get ideas from. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The synergy and creativity generated in a close, like-minded, supportive group produces results not possible for any one of the individuals by themselves. Even the Bible indicates on every page that life is about relationships. You have seen that “secret” at work here every day on this web site. We have become such a close-knit family that we feel comfortable to spill our guts, ask stupid questions, and do our best at answering them in hopes of being a real help to those in need. Lets be honest, NONE of us could have gotten as far along with Creative Real Estate as we have without the synergy of this Mastermind Group. I, for one, thank you all for the past, present, and future help I have/will receive from you. Just don’t tell anyone the secret, It’ll come to them.
Michael Murray

Re: What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by Ben(GA)

Posted by Ben(GA) on March 24, 1999 at 21:48:19:

The secret is 2 part. First, each had a burning desire to suceed and second, each could already see themselves in their new lifestyle as they wanted it to be. That’s what I got out of it anyway.

Another Hint - Posted by TC

Posted by TC on March 24, 1999 at 21:21:44:

If you can beleive,you can acheive…

Re: What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 24, 1999 at 08:57:36:

I’ve never thought about it before, but I now wonder why I’ve never seen that question posed here before !
I’ve read and reread that book many times. It’s dogeared, highlighted written in, etc. but the “answer” never jumped out and hit me upside the head. Unless of course I already knew the answer and didn’t consider the “answer” to be the “answer” (Does that make sense?)
Doug

Re: What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by L.A.

Posted by L.A. on March 24, 1999 at 08:32:01:

LOL…U are sort of close…BUT most people on the board & even U…would be mad at me if I told U.

Just keep reading…it will hit one day…

But U are REAL CLOSE !!!

Hint…the answer is in the TITLE of the book !

Hope this helps.

Re: Fountain of Content - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on March 26, 1999 at 11:56:26:

The fountain of content must spring up in the mind,
and he who hath so little knowledge of human nature
as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition,
will waste his life in fruitless efforts and multiply
the grief he proposes to remove.

• Samuel Johnson

Stacy

GOOD…BUT THAT AIN’T IT ! - Posted by L.A.

Posted by L.A. on March 25, 1999 at 02:03:14:

U are VERY close…but no cigar.

The answer is the answer. - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on March 24, 1999 at 09:32:59:

Yes it makes sense and yes you got it.

-karp

Re: What Is The Secret That Napleon Hill Talks About In His Book? - Posted by Grandma Pimp

Posted by Grandma Pimp on March 24, 1999 at 11:37:10:

Could it be…errrrrr…intuition?

OK, I give up, you tell us! - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on March 25, 1999 at 09:12:29:

I suppose the secret is somewhere within all of these posts, but maybe you could save us this grief and spill the beans? Please?
Thanks,
Michael Murray

Nananananaaaaaaaa…Be the Ball (nt) - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 24, 1999 at 11:22:51:

nt

Re: More time than money - Posted by guru

Posted by guru on March 28, 1999 at 10:04:31:

Most people go thru 3 phases of their life. The first is the educational or learning phase - when you have more time than money - and you must do, as they say in the investment community, due diligence or pay a price to be successfull; the second is the accumulation or prime-of-your-life phase when your life is busy, fun and expensive; and the last is the distribution or enjoying-life-to-the-fullest phase - when you have more money than time - and you want to share with those who you care about.
The information age lets techo savvy people attempt to bypass the first phase; i.e. you pay no price for knowledge.
So my suggest is READ THE BOOK!

Yeah, Right! “Guru” - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on March 28, 1999 at 12:27:49:

Say, Mr. Guru,
That seemed like a bit of a slam to me, shouting and everything. If you are going to insultingly imply that someone has not taken the time to read a book before making a comment on it, then you should take the time to read the previous posts before trying to infer the meaning. If you will kindly read http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/16855.html you will see that I have read the book. By the way, I noticed that you did not attempt to answer the question or reveal the secret yourself, so, by your standards, I should infer that you indeed, have not read the book? Food for thought. Well, maybe an hors d’oeuvre for thought.
Chuckles,
Michael Murray

I’m no typist - Posted by guru

Posted by guru on March 28, 1999 at 19:54:23:

Mr Murray;
If my comments seemed harsh, it is because they were directed at Nick or whoever it was who asked the original question and who hadn’t read the book. I did not intend any disservice to your reading or comprehension skills - my unknowing response was to the last followup not to the original message. Again, to you I apologize.
To whoever didn’t read Napolean Hills classic - and to whoever thinks all original thought is formatted over the internet, I still say a library card is more important than an modem card