What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by Bryan-SC

Posted by Mike on December 05, 1999 at 24:12:08:

This record looks very solid and you have a portfolio and experience to build on. I have been investing for 12 years and am just starting to make a couple thousand monthly in cash flow from 24 units in 8 buildings. The income is just a small fraction of the equity involved, so it dawned on me that I need to be more strategic about increasing my cash flow. It is a bit like a chess game. I need to make the right moves by making intelligent choices in making improvements so I can raise rents in this strong market, and use them to acquire multi-units which yield good profits.

What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by Bryan-SC

Posted by Bryan-SC on December 03, 1999 at 13:04:55:

I am a new investor with one closed property and several in the works. I am fortunate to earn a high income already but am curious as to whether any of you actually generate enough income from positive cash flow to live on. Not to get too personal but it would be nice to hear what people have produced and in what time. As I set my goals I am looking for guidance. My first property generates $150/month positive cash flow so in order to produce the income to meet my goals I need to own 100 houses. Flips and wholesale deals are great but I look at those as a bonus. Just looking for real world examples from other RE investors as to how they have structured their businesses. The success stories are great but they only relate to individual deals?my interest is in hearing about the ability to create a cash flow that will sustain my lifestyle. Should I be looking at multifamily rather than single family?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

A small (but happy) fish in this great sea of real estate… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 10, 1999 at 11:16:16:

I?m not at the point [yet!] where I can live strictly off of the income from my real estate…and I may NEVER attain the $level$ of some of these R.E. moguls.

But what IS satisfying to me is the constant ?challenge of the game’…along with the creativity that goes with it.

?and I have to say—It does give me a great sense of POWER!!!

Re: What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by Jim_MA

Posted by Jim_MA on December 03, 1999 at 20:05:34:

Ray has covered this in an excellent fashion as he always does but perhaps some personal statistics might help you a bit more. I began investing 24 years ago and lost it all twice. Four years ago my dad and I picked the remaining pieces and started over one more time. During the first 36 months we had acquired and rehabbed 11- 2 bedroom condominiums that we decided to hold for long term rental income. We at this point became stuck in a rut that we thought was insurmountable. While the cashflow could support one us we both could not retire from the rat race so we both continued to work fulltime.

In August 1998 I had the pleasure of spending 3 days with Terry Vaughan and Ed Garcia. They opened my eyes and provided me an opportunity to understand the bigger picture. I realized that my game plan was too inflexible and that I had structured my business in such a fashion that it made sense that I was stuck in a rut. Needless to say that weekend the whole game plan changed and now it changes continuously but the long term goal of Freedom has not changed. The road map to that success is constantly changing and we continuously reroute our business based on and the market conditions, evaluating every opportunity both on its individual merits as well as its contribution to the overall success of the business. Every move being carefully picked.

During the next nine months after that week end we restructured our debt service freeing up equity to take down 2 major deals on multi- unit properties going from 11 units to 32 over a period of 60 days in months 8 and nine. Statistically about 360% growth. Today Dad has retired from his JOB and manages the rehabs and my 26 year old son has come on board fulltime. I still work fulltime managing the maintenance of 64 public buildings at the local University but expect that I too will retire from that job following the next major deal sometime early next summer. The next deal targeted is sized at 100 units and the search for this deal has been underway for several months. This should then bring the growth increase to approximately 1200% and that we should have that deal stabilized by the beginning of year 6. What will happen in year 6 has not been determined but I can tell you that we will have found our FREEDOM and perhaps I?ll use the knowledge Ray provided the day I spent with him recently and get into commercial non-residential properties

Re: What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by al

Posted by al on December 03, 1999 at 17:13:49:

Bryan,you already got some very good answers to your question.I am also a full time investor about two years now six year total Im 33 years old life this way is GOOD.Enough bout me,one extra bit of advise I can give,you might want get the board game CASHFLOW 101 found on www.cashflowtech.com---YES, the game cost over$250.00 plus,but, this playing of the game will answer your question far better than I can explain,If you dont have any one to play the game with you`ve answered one important question. Please trust me on this.

Are you looking for proof, or justification? - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on December 03, 1999 at 16:12:50:

Bryan,

I think you may have good intentions, but are going about the process of getting the information you want totally in the wrong way.

First, whether or not I or anybody else make enough money for you to justify making RE investing a full time activity for yourself is totally irrelevant. If your question is whether people actually make large amounts of money in RE, then I think you can read up on a few well known real estate moguls and find that that would seem to be the case. I find it interesting that most of the folks I know that make large sums of money are some of the most closemouthed individuals I have ever met. Statistics I have seen note that well over half of the Fortune 400 derives its wealth from real estate… 'nuf said.

But if what you really want is to hear strategies that others have used to replace their unsatisfactory jobs, no matter how high paying, with RE investment, then you are in the right place. How do I know you aren’t satisfied in your job? Because you’re looking for a way out of it, and people don’t look for a way out of something they like doing. Unfortunately, asking me how much I make is not the way to endear you to my heart and pour out all of my hard won experience. That’s between me and my accountants, (I have three: one in-house for our companies, one for corporate taxes, and one for personal taxes) and none of them knows the whole picture. In fact, in recent years I have put a lot more attention on minimizing my personal taxable income… so my answer to the question, if I were to be inclined to answer it, would be fairly deceptive.

It so happens that my entire family is in RE, and have been for many years. I’ve made a lot of money, and I have also lost a lot of money. For me, it’s never been the money that kept me in it, because I stayed in it as broke as broke could be. It’s the freedom of choice and the thrill of the deal. I pretty much do as much or as little as I want to do on any given day. I just spent the last three weeks traveling all over the world. If I were in it to just make an income, then I would be content to take a paycheck and leave the worries to a boss, and also abrogate to him the decision as to whether I could take another three weeks off. No thank you.

I like running my own life, and yes, that life is a lot more pleasant with a large income than with a small one. But to tell the truth, without the years that I spent working for peanuts to get a start in this business, and then the years working for peanuts to save what we (my brothers and father) had built, then I would have never found my passion. And that, my friend, is worth more than gold. You see, ever since I found my true passion, I haven’t had to go to “work” again. I do what I do because I love to do it, and I’d do it to some extent (and have) even if there was NO money in it.

My passion is dealmaking. I love the chase. I love the catch. I love the closings. I love the players, the places and the high stakes. I live not for those moments when the impossible is done, but for all the moments that lead up to the finish line. Not all the deals I work are successful. In fact, I have counted myself lucky to close one out of ten deals that I seriously work on, and that may be optimistic. If I only lived for the successes, then my life would be pretty bleak, because those moments are fleeting. I enjoy all the moments that lead up to and away from a deal, because I learn something new from every one.

I think Mikeb’s post below in response to your question is a very good example of what I am talking about. I don’t know him, but I can tell that he is a determined person with a plan. That plan may not work out exactly the way he thinks, but I bet he will have what it takes to modify it when need be. He has found that RE can provide a freedom of living that comes only with taking responsibility for your own life. My hat is off to him, and the hundreds of others here who know in their hearts there is more to life than trading hours for dollars. RE isn’t the only way to freedom, but it is the way I know, and I will be glad to share my experience with any who care to listen. Just don’t get hung up on what I “make”.

Excuse me for getting on my soapbox, but I get testy on Friday afternoons when it is warm enough to be on the golf course and I’m not. I figured that I should at least try to open the mail after being on vacation (again?!) for the majority of the past month. Besides, there’s a couple of deals laying here to dive into, and to tell the truth that is more fun than golf, and if you knew me you would know what a heavy statement THAT is!!!

So my friend… congratulations on your deal. You have tasted but a sliver of the fruits that can come from marching to your own drummer in your own parade. Should you be looking at multi-family? Probably so if you really want to fast track to a full time equivalent income from RE. You might also look at commercial properties. A neighborhood shopping center can be much easier to manage than a 50-unit apartment building, and just as lucrative. But pick your way carefully… make sure your propensity and tolerance for risk and hard work is equal to the size property you consider. As you gain experience, you will find certain types of properties appeal to you more than others. You will find your own way in how to manage your investments. No one can make those decisions for you, but there is plenty of discussion here along those very lines to help you along the way.

Above all, find your passion, then feed it everyday. The rest will happen in its own good time.

ray

Re: What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by mikeb

Posted by mikeb on December 03, 1999 at 14:03:22:

Hi Bryan,

Great Question! I too am interested in how many on this board have been able to create cash flows large enough to live on.

I’ve been investing since April of this year, and am not there yet. I have done six mobile home deals. Four are rentals and two are classic Lonnie deals. I have just over $1000 per month positive cash flow coming in from these six deals.

My goal is to keep reinvesting all profits from these deals into more mobile homes until I have at least $2500 - $3000 per month coming in. I’ve done an Excel spreadsheet that shows me attaining this goal in just under two years! We’ll see.

Then I want to move away from the mobile homes somewhat and start investing in SFH’s and duplexes. I figure I can use the income from the MH’s to invest in more durable properties that will increase in value over time while still throwing off positive cash flow. The trailers are nice for cash flow but real estate will appreciate where MH’s won’t. When I get to my goal of $3000 with the MH’s I’ll start gradually replacing the cash flow from the MH with cash flow from the SFH and duplexes. Also I think there may be a small MH park in my future somewhere; I file every post from Ray Alcorn I can get my hands on.

My immediate goals are to continue working my job and investing while I finish My MBA. I started this MBA program before I got interested in investing, now I find it very difficult concentrating on my school work and have come close to quitting several times (especially after reading rich dad poor dad). I stick it out though because it really has taught me some useful things, particularly the business law and finance classes.

My outlook on life has really changed in the past 9 months. I no longer even think about getting a better job. I’d like this job to be my last. The MBA stopped being about getting a higher paying job. Now the only reason I stick it out is that I think it may help in my investing, getting bank loans, looking good on a business plan, etc.

When I can replace my current J.O.B. income with cashflow plus have an additional $2-$3 thousand cashflow for investing, I will hang up the job and never look back.

Sorry to ramble on. I post seldom and lurk often but it seems I needed to get some things off my chest!

Happy investing,

Mike

Re: What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by Mikeb(SC)

Posted by Mikeb(SC) on December 03, 1999 at 13:54:16:

Hi Bryan,

Great Question! I too am interested in how many on this board have been able to create cash flows large enough to live on.

I’ve been investing since April of this year, and am not there yet. I have done six mobile home deals. Four are rentals and two are classic Lonnie deals. I have just over $1000 per month positive cash flow coming in from these six deals.

My goal is to keep reinvesting all profits from these deals into more mobile homes until I have at least $2500 - $3000 per month coming in. I’ve done an Excel spreadsheet that shows me attaining this goal in just under two years! We’ll see.

Then I want to move away from the mobile homes somewhat and start investing in SFH’s and duplexes. I figure I can use the income from the MH’s to invest in more durable properties that will increase in value over time while still throwing off positive cash flow. The trailers are nice for cash flow but real estate will appreciate where MH’s won’t. When I get to my goal of $3000 with the MH’s I’ll start gradually replacing the cash flow from the MH with cash flow from the SFH and duplexes. Also I think there may be a small MH park in my future somewhere; I file every post from Ray Alcorn I can get my hands on.

Between now and then I’m planning on ordering Joe Kaiser’s courses and studying up on his techniques for finding properties. I’ve downloaded his demo software and it is fabulous.

My immediate goals are to finish My MBA from the Citadel. I started this MBA program before I got interested in investing, now I find it very difficult concentrating on my school work and have come close to quitting several times (especially after reading rich dad poor dad). I stick it out though because it really has taught me some useful things, particularly the business law and finance classes.

My outlook on life has really changed in the past 9 months. I no longer even think about getting a better job. I’d like this job to be my last. The MBA stopped being about getting a higher paying job. Now the only reason I stick it out is that I think it may help in my investing, getting bank loans, looking good on a business plan, etc.

When I can replace my current J.O.B. income with cashflow plus have an additional $2-$3 thousand cashflow for investing, I will hang up the job and never look back.

Sorry to ramble on. I post seldom and lurk often but it seems I needed to get some things off my chest!

Happy investing,

Mike

Jim, it’s folks like you that keep me coming back! - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on December 06, 1999 at 11:54:28:

Jim,

I just had to write and let everyone know how much it means to me and everybody else to hear such a powerful personal story. You and others have heaped loads of praise on me the past few months for my ability to but words together and I appreciate it, but in my book, my words don’t hold a candle to what you have been able to accomplish with the tools that are found here. I know Ed and Terry (especially Ed) have given you a lot of guidance, but I also know that all the advice in the world doesn’t amount to a hill of wet kaka unless someone puts the rubber to the road. You my friend, deserve a big pat on the back for believing in yourself enough to take the chance on what I know must have seemed at the time to be a very chancy way to go.

I want to thank you for sharing your story, and add my wishes for the best in dealmaking to come your way. You were a pleasure to have with us in Charlotte, and I hope to further intrigue you to my way of thinking about commercial properties!

Keep on keeping on,

ray

Yet another awesome post by Ray!! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on December 04, 1999 at 10:46:45:

Ray—I got goose bumps! I even had my partner come in and read it. It’s one of those nail on the head posts that is true to the core. THANK YOU
steph in tex

Ray, thank you for your response - Posted by Bryan-SC

Posted by Bryan-SC on December 04, 1999 at 10:22:25:

I knew that my post would elicit some response like yours but I felt compelled to ask the question anyway. I am in my late 20s and at a turning point in my career. I just wanted to know if there are investors out there that have been able to sustain themselves purely from cash flow rather than always pursuing flips. All of this information is helpful as I decide whether to pursue RE investing as a full time business or whether to stay in my current position and look at RE as simply another investment vehicle. Since I am happy with my career and my income maybe I?ve answered my own question. Your passion is evident and very inspiring thanks!

Bryan

Powerful post - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on December 04, 1999 at 24:46:01:

This post is a real keeper. Thanks for taking the time to share this powerful story. Very inspiring! Much appreciated!

Excellent as usual, Ray. Thanks! - Posted by Tim Randle

Posted by Tim Randle on December 03, 1999 at 16:21:57:

I never tire of reading posts from the serious folks and want to do my part to ensure you know it’s appreciated.

Understanding goals - simuliar - Posted by Donielle Head - AZ

Posted by Donielle Head - AZ on December 07, 1999 at 14:12:57:

Mike,

I too am going through school for a certificate in Human Resources, and was thinking of getting my Masters in Buisness. It would be free for me (except books) since I work for the school. But then I reminded myself that Real Estate is the way to go. I have yet to do any deals but am starting to get info on flipping homes and getting in contact with Investors who would be interested in doing business with me. My long term goal is to have kids (already married) and be work out of my home.

I think it is an atainable goal for anyone who wants to loose the JOB. The saying is “PERSISTANCE KILLS RESISTANCE!!!” Isn’t that true?

Happy Investing and Good Luck!

Sincerely,

Donielle

Re: What level of income have you produced and in what time? - Posted by Judy

Posted by Judy on December 03, 1999 at 15:12:12:

I only started visiting this site a few months ago. I sure wish I had known about all the creative financing that people use a long time ago. Anyway we have a positive cash flow of $4100.00 per month by having 11 single family homes and 1 duplex. This probably sounds pretty low when you consider we’ve been buying and selling houses for the last 8 years) We have sold some making a lot of profit on rehabs. I quess the equity we have built up is really good. We have anywhere from 35,000 to 65,000 equity in each property. Now that I am starting to learn all these new ideas we are ready to do a lot more properties. I still feel a little nervous when trying to buy other than the old conventional way but I am trying.
Judy