what should new investors know about Cali-Shakes? - Posted by InvestmentKid

Posted by cork horner, InSane Diego on March 11, 2006 at 10:31:00:

I thought Cali-shakes were the new fireproof roofs.

I knew a cal cre who thought leveling the door frames was the equivalent of foundation leveling.

Retired contractor,
cork horner

what should new investors know about Cali-Shakes? - Posted by InvestmentKid

Posted by InvestmentKid on March 10, 2006 at 14:36:21:

As a new investor, what risks am I taking when investing in California where a major earthquake hasn’t the LA Basin in over 10 years?

Re: Cali-Shakes? - Posted by Mary (CA)

Posted by Mary (CA) on March 14, 2006 at 13:00:28:

I’ve lived in CA since 1962 and odd thing . . . I’d much rather put up with earthquakes than hurricanes or tornadoes. At least at the end of it, you’re basically still in the same location. Though, admittedly, I wouldn’t want to be on a lower level of a freeway or bridge when it happens.

(Where was it Dorothy ended up?)

Mary
(N. Calif)

Re: Cali-Shakes? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on March 10, 2006 at 16:15:50:

I recommend that Geology 101 be a prereq for purchasing any Calif. property. Yes, there will be earthquakes, & sooner rather than later. In fact, you can have severe structural problems from movement, even w/out a quake. You need to allow for earthquake insurance, as well as possibly flood insurance, in your financial calculations. I’m not kidding about the geology class–although it wasn’t my major, it was the most valuable class I took in college. The earth is not a static entity; it is very dynamic, & you need to know how to look for telltale signs of impending problems no matter where you invest. You can’t anticipate every problem, but there are some major ones you can easily avoid w/a little bit of knowledge.

Calif. isn’t the only place subject to earthquakes (e.g., IL & NY). Every place has potential major problems–in NC I am dealing w/rising sea level, & am seriously considering a move to higher ground. I researched it before buying here on the water, so knew approximately how long to hold, & time is almost up–

Tye