What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by SusanL.--FL

Posted by Laure on June 16, 2000 at 20:29:16:

expensive, not to mention the time it would take… You will be tired enough after just ripping it off. But shingling is the easy part.

Laure :wink:

What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 15, 2000 at 09:16:56:

I want to get plywood prices today from Home Depot and was wondering what the recommended thickness is.

Thanx!

Re: What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by Jim Fox

Posted by Jim Fox on June 16, 2000 at 01:03:35:

Susan, The easy answer is to check with the Building Department in the city or county where the property is located. They will tell you the minimum thickness, approved material (Dade County and maybe others) and fastening they require, as well as, if they require you or your roofer to get a permit. If the property is in FL, I don’t know of a jurisdiction that does not require a roofer to be licensed. (Also, make sure that your roofer has up to date insurances.)

The Building Dept. will probably give you their requirements over the phone and you may not need to give your name or property address.

Good luck, Jim Fox

Depends how far apart are your joists? What snow loads in your area? New construction or covering old boards? - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on June 15, 2000 at 23:38:59:

Best idea is to talk the matter over with experienced lumber yard personnel and roofers in your area.

Re: What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on June 15, 2000 at 19:31:11:

We’re using 1/2 inch OSB with great luck. Haven’t had any waving at all. If there is waving, there may not be proper ventillation. I would also suggest you read up on ventillation. I am using peak vents on all my homes now with venting in the eaves as well to let the heat escape.

On my personal home, we had 2 feet on either side of the peak totally rotten. I mean, you could push your finger through the plywood. Cause? NO VENTILLATION… my ex- husband believed if you let the outside air in, then you would lose heat in the winter ! UGH… Anyway, I got carpenter ants, and a butt load of rotten wood, and the roof was a room addition that was only 8 years old.

REPLACING ALL THE SHEETING?? I wouldn’t make that decision until I saw what it was like. Don’t replace it unless it is bad. Just my 2 cents. I do about 5 roofs a year. We did one last week, and one this week. WE, and I do mean “WE”. Yes, I roof right along with the guys. SOMEONE has to crack the whip ! And I am now a perfectionist. I don’t like a bit of compromise in my roofs. Of course, sometimes I just hand them shingles, and only “work” a half day. But they are doing them like I want. I’ve seen some real “crap” jobs. And the crummy roofing jobs are real apparent once you step onto the roof.

Good luck ! Don’t forget to rent a roofing nail gun.

Laure :wink:

Plywood grade - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on June 15, 2000 at 13:12:09:

1/2 to 5/8 should do, but its not a bad idea to check local codes. Get the kind marked “CDX” thats basic rough grade exterior. You don’t need Grade A to cover with shingles.

BG

Re: What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by TomC (Md)

Posted by TomC (Md) on June 15, 2000 at 12:20:09:

Susan, it partially depends on what you have to work with already. Are you replacing the entire roof decking, or just some bad parts? And what spacing are the joists…it could be anywhere from 12" to 24" on centers? Either way you will probably be using 1/2" or 3/4" CDX grade.

Give us some more info, and I can prolly help out.

TomC

www.relitech.com/tomc/house

is my last rehab project!

Re: What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by Rob

Posted by Rob on June 15, 2000 at 12:18:27:

5/8" PLYWOOD (not OSB) should be used for a good looking roof. In my area most track builders use 7/16" OSB. This gets wavey after about a year.

Re: What thickness plywood would you recommend for roofing a house? - Posted by Troy M

Posted by Troy M on June 15, 2000 at 09:33:18:

Susan,
I’m not ‘up’ on all the codes here (TX), but I can tell you this. I have come across some older homes that had 3/8" plywood decking. I wouldn’t reccomend 3/8" , it will warp easier than 1/2", shows “dips” and feels very “spongy” when you walk on it (depending somewhat on the framing of the attic). The reccommended is 1/2" here, though alot of new construction is done with OSB, not sure which is less expensive. Hope this helps.

Troy M

Madame Roofer, AT YOUR SERVICE! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 16, 2000 at 09:46:23:

We are going to do this job ourselves.

We did the roof on the last house we owned (in mid- July). Hired a few of our neighborhood teenage ‘gophers’ to help out.

I carried the shingles up the ladder on my shoulder, one pack at a time. Hot, HEAVY work!

I’ll tell you, it REALLY makes you appreciate what the professionals go through when you do do a job yourself. Wouldn’t want a steady ‘diet’ of it–but am glad that I learned how to do it.

P.S. That roof is STILL in tip-top shape today!

replacing the sheeting - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 16, 2000 at 09:33:34:

re:
REPLACING ALL THE SHEETING?? I wouldn’t make that decision until I saw what it was like. Don’t replace it unless it is bad.

Last night, we (he) have reconsidered replacing all the sheeting if it wasn’t necessary.

I did a quick $caluclation$ for the plywood and we would have been $substantial$.

Thanx!

‘The Boss’ wants to replace it in its entirety’ - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 15, 2000 at 14:38:37:

SURE hope he doesn’t poop out on me part way through the job 'cause he’s got close to 2,300 s.f. to cover…

Thanx Troy! (nt) - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 15, 2000 at 09:39:42:

nt

Re: Madame Roofer, AT YOUR SERVICE! - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on June 16, 2000 at 20:27:58:

I found out real quick that they have elevators that will run the shingles right up on the roof for you when they deliver them ! Only in America !

Laure :slight_smile: