What would be best? - Posted by Trey

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on April 27, 2000 at 08:51:54:

I would think your plan is worthwhile. I would go with the duplex vs the SFR with roommates…advantages include better quality tenants, longer-term agreements, tenants will take better care of the property than roommates, etc.

Brian (NY)

What would be best? - Posted by Trey

Posted by Trey on April 26, 2000 at 18:50:19:

Hey Folks,

I will be attending graduate school for the next three years. I would also like to be employed in this city after graduation. (Likely prospect.)

I am also ready to actually get my feet wet in RE investment. I thought it might be a good idea to partner-up and buy a property with my step father who has some RE experience. I thought maybe a duplex would be a good arrangement. I could stay in half and rent out the other half. That would provide my step father with reliable onsite management, tax benefits, etc. I would get equity in the property (partnership), a subsidized rent (say, instead of paying $500 rent, I could pay $300 and call the other $200 “management salary” which he could deduct as an expense.) Does this sound like a feasible idea? Would a Single Fam. home with “roommates” be a better idea?

I was thinking a duplex would be perfect because we could continue to own the property after I graduate with me living there “as management”. I don’t really want roommates after grad school.

Any thoughts or comments from the pro’s would be welcome. Especially any comments regarding duplexes and management!

Thanks,

Trey

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be helpful.