What's a good answer to give when prospects ask if I am a Realtor? - Posted by Debra(SC)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on January 31, 2000 at 14:12:00:

Ummmm… no… I see not being a realtor as being a GOOD thing… I would answer this question, “No… I am a BUYER.”

Mark

What’s a good answer to give when prospects ask if I am a Realtor? - Posted by Debra(SC)

Posted by Debra(SC) on January 31, 2000 at 13:42:32:

This has happened to me more than once while talking to a prospect about how I can solve their RE problems. I have been just saying ‘no,’ but this seems to change the whole atmosphere of the converstaion after that. It’s almost like they don’t take you seriously if you’re not a Realtor. Anyhone else have this problem? How do you answer and overcome this obstacle?

Thanks,
Debra

Re: What’s a good answer to give when prospects ask if I am a Realtor? - Posted by Troy

Posted by Troy on January 31, 2000 at 17:22:21:

If you are a Realtor, you must disclose it. Be proud of who you are. There is nothing to be ashamed of. If you conduct your business honestly and fairly, you should not have a problem with that. Something like: “I am a Realtor, but I’m buying for my own account.” should set the seller at ease.

If you are not a Realtor, maybe saying so before your prospect asks you could help calm them. “I’m not a Realtor, I’m buying for my own portfolio.”

If you’re not being taken seriously, it is not because you are or are not a Realtor. Show the prospect how you can solve their problem, with confidence, and move on. No need for cute answers.

Good luck.

You’re missing the point. They don’t want you to be one. - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on January 31, 2000 at 16:12:33:

As Mark said, NOT being a Realtor is the plus. They ask you that because they’re bombarded by Realtors calls and don’t want to have to pay out a commission. That’s why they’re FSBO’s* they don’t want to deal with Realtors. Mark’s answer is sexcellent: “No. I’m a buyer.”

*Remember FSBO stands for “For Sale Because of being Over-the-barrel.”

Bill Gatten

Answer: I’m a real live buyer with cash! (nt) - Posted by JoeB(Atlanta)

Posted by JoeB(Atlanta) on January 31, 2000 at 14:58:01:

Re: What’s a good answer to give when prospects ask if I am a Realtor? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on January 31, 2000 at 14:36:39:

Hi Debra-

Maybe you should say (smile when you do it), “I am not a realtor, but I will be glad to knock an extra 6% off of my offer if that will make you feel more comfortable.”

Seriously, if they are so worried about the realtor thing you need to ask them why they are selling as a FSBO if they want to do it through a realtor. Mention your expertise and the multiple ways that you can solve their problems that a realtor would probably not mention.

For example, if you are going to sublease their property, point out that they have delayed paying closing costs for now, save a commission, etc. You could even place wording in the contract that the seller is free to market their property while you have it under contract and that if they find a better offer they can go with it.

-Good Luck, Chris