What's Wrong With This Ad..... - Posted by John Estell(Denver)

Posted by Dan Fink on March 01, 1999 at 19:49:42:

The ad seems fine, It is not what you say but just getting your name in front of the people who have a problem.

You can’t run a ad for one or two days and say it does not work. A ad should be run every weekend at least for a month to get a response rate.

You can run the same ad for two weeks get no calls one week and 50 the next. you just never know.

Dan Fink

What’s Wrong With This Ad… - Posted by John Estell(Denver)

Posted by John Estell(Denver) on March 01, 1999 at 19:07:28:

I put the following ad in the paper hoping to attract investors, buyers, sellers and the likes. I put the ad in the Denver Post for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I haven’t received one call. I put the ad in the Real Estate Section under ‘Real Estate Services’. Did I put the ad in the wrong place? Is this ad too much? Thanks in advace for your help and suggestions. Here’s the ad:

WE BUY HOUSES
Any Condition, All Cash
Back Taxes and Mortgage Payments No Problem.
Call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

What did I do wrong.

Try several ads… - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on March 02, 1999 at 16:50:37:

one of my favorites;

Rental Property WANTED!
regardless of condition.
call joe xxx-xxxx

This ad produces calls. The sellers could care less if I plan to rent or sell. I see no need to tell them either.

Works for me. David S

Re: What’s Wrong With This Ad… - Posted by Craig

Posted by Craig on March 02, 1999 at 08:52:49:

Everytime I pick up the paper I see that same ad run by three at least 3 different people. Half of them don’t really pay all cash(out of their pocket), so if you are actually paying all cash you should be calling up the ones who are running the ads and having them bring the deals to you. If you are flipping like most of them are, you should be doing something different. Chances are that someone called a few of the others running the ads weren’t happy and won’t make it around to calling yours because it says the same exact thing and they figure they will get the same exact offer from you. Try saying the same thing but in a conversational manner.
CASH FOR YOUR HOME
Do YOU have back taxes, or back mortgage payments. Do YOU want to save YOUR credit from being hurt any more than it already is. I will pay CASH FOR YOUR HOME, no matter what condition it is in. Call now.

Something like this will cost more and you will have to run it consistently but it will have a much more significant impact on sellers than what everyone else is doing.

Re: What’s Wrong With This Ad… - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on March 01, 1999 at 23:44:20:

John,
My experiences are that some weeks I get 5 calls other weeks I get none. You just need to keep the ad going. When I do get 5 calls I usually don’t buy any of them. I know many investors that run ads every single week and have asked how many homes a year they buy as a result of there ad. Most will tell you 2 or 3 homes a year. Don’t expect to get a home a week as a result of an ad. The 2 or 3 a year more then pay for a lifetime of ads if you continue to run them.

SCook85

Run it longer - Posted by Jason-DTX

Posted by Jason-DTX on March 01, 1999 at 20:00:56:

For an add campaign to be effective you need to run the add everyday for at least a month. You may only get 10 calls for the month and you may get 3 in one day and zero calls for a whole week. There is no way to know when a motivated seller is going to call, therefore your add needs to run everyday. You’ll probably get more calls during the week than on the weekend.
You might try to put your add under the “real estate wanted” section instead of “services” Just look for other adds like yours and put it in the same section with the rest. If you can’t afford to run it everyday in the Post then run it everyday in a cheaper paper such as the “greensheet”, “thrifty nickel”, or a local shopper type paper.
I run a simialr add “We buy houses, any area, any condition, Phone#” everyday in the main Dallas paper and in the Greensheet. I’ve found that they both pull about the same and the Greensheet is about 1/10 the cost. My add is with at least 20 other investors and I still get good results.
Good luck and keep trying!
Jason