When is the best time to put up bandit signs? - Posted by Colby

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 09, 2002 at 10:09:22:

Colby,

I think that the decision to put up signs has to be your own. I felt that it was not worth putting up the signs if the city was going to get mad at me. No point in that.

As for upseting the realtors and investors/landlords. I have thought long and hard about this one over the last couple of days. On one hand I want to keep peace with them and get along. On the other hand, why worry about a group that is probably jealous of my creative marketing ideas. I have come to this conclusion: To borrow a quote from the WWF superstar THE ROCK: If they they don’t like my signs and or my aggressive marketing to “Go Sck a monkey’s npple”. This is a bit harsh, but really how I feel, who needs to be around people like that?

Bottome line: if you can find a legal way to put up the signs, I would do it. I thinks its worth it. If you have to put them up illegally, then only you can decide whether its worth it. Personally, I don’t think it is.

Tim

When is the best time to put up bandit signs? - Posted by Colby

Posted by Colby on March 09, 2002 at 07:28:44:

When do you put bandit signs? Do you put them up in the wee hours of the morning? After 2am? How do you get past the nervousness of putting them up? If you put them up at a busy intersection, even in the wee hours of the morning, someone in a car will see you at the red light with a ladder nailing a sign to a telephone phone. Don’t get me wrong, I’m doing bandit signs! But, I’ve never done it before and I’m worried about the police catching me in the act, or someone reporting me via cell phone while I’m nailing the signs. Can some of you share your placing of bandit signs experiences?

Re: When is the best time to put up bandit signs? - Posted by Brian, WI

Posted by Brian, WI on March 09, 2002 at 11:26:35:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can, and will be use against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney…

Don’t worry about it!!

You may get called on it, and told not to do it anymore. Big Deal. Find another way like asking people/businesses to let you put them on their property, etc.

I can’t wait for convention, then come home and get my bandit signs to put out!!!

Brian, WI

Re: When is the best time to put up bandit signs? - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on March 09, 2002 at 08:15:07:

1 - Beetween 10 pm and 1:00 am
2 - You gwet past by the nervousness when you actually do it for the second and third time.
I personally dont usy busy intersections because they dont last long (8 or 10 hours).
I dont nail them on thelephone polls they are already illegal I believe naiing them on the telephone poll makes more illegal.
I haven;t had any majors problems putting bandit signs.
I have some bad calls a police officer called me once from a fancy neighbohood, a guy called me he told me that would turn my head 1000 times and make me eat the signs and in the beginning 2 police officers gave me a hard time and searched my car .
If you want to lose the fear you have to go out there and do it.

Re: When is the best time to put up bandit signs? - Posted by colby

Posted by colby on March 09, 2002 at 09:23:58:

All in all, RR, is bandit signs worth it?

Off the subject - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 09, 2002 at 09:21:23:

RR,

On what basis did the police search your car?

I personally think they had no right to search your car, however it probably one of those you let us search the car or you are getting a ticket thing.

Tim

yes, but dont get scared!!! - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on March 09, 2002 at 11:30:43:

I’ve told you the worst that happened to me, and doenst happen every day, I was getting like 2-3 calls a day now slowed down a bit , I used to put 50 bandit signs per weekend , 17 friday,17 saturday and 17 sundays, I have got any deals yet.

Re: Off the subject - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on March 09, 2002 at 11:36:49:

IT was 11;30 at night i had parked my car ona comercial bank parking lot ,I was driving a 1982 ford fairmont , so I guess I looked suspicious, I had a 7 pound hammer on my hands,it was dark, the police officers came out nowhere, I still had a bunch of signs inside the trunk so that helped to cover me, they didnt give me a ticket just a warning, so I like made a deal with them, I mean I WAS a little scared and suprised and just want to cooperate.

Same question to RR that I give you Tim… - Posted by colby

Posted by colby on March 09, 2002 at 09:26:57:

All in all, the nervousness, the crank calls from people that are mad at you for putting up bandit signs, is bandit signs worth it?

Re: Same question to RR that I give you Tim… - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 09, 2002 at 09:53:54:

Colby,

I don’t put them up in my city anymore. The city called and asked me not to do it anymore. I just put them up next to my FOR SALE and FOR RENT signs.

When I did have them up, I only got called once by a upset citizen, twice by realtors and once by another landlord/investor. Then of course the city called me. Overall, I had no real problems, until I got the landlords upset(jealous). Granted I did put the signs on buildings that had been boarded up for YEARS(I know its was tresspassing to private property, it never really dawned on me that thats what I was doing. Not justifying what I did, just staying my train of thought, I don’t do that anymore) however, there are people promoting concerts that plaster signs on boarded up buildings with those signs. Those signs never got taken down or were asked to be removed. My proof of that is that they are still up there and there is a number on there to call about the concert too. That is how I concluded that it was jealousy that motivated the call. I may be wrong, however knowing human nature, I’m probaby right. I really wasn’t that clear in my earlier post.

It really is a personal choice. Take a look at your city ordinance, you can find a way to put up your bandit signs legally. That is how I found out about putting them up next to my FOR SALE and FOR RENT signs.
Also, I am able to put up signs on boarded up commercial buildings as long as I have the owners permission.

Tim