When to get an Attorney - Posted by Dan

Posted by George Blake on February 11, 2002 at 23:27:33:

I read the Carelton Sheets course then …(just a minute let me count the books on my shelf)… I read 34 books on real estate. I started actually looking at property two months ago and I have baught 4 properties so far. All the people came to me. They came to me because they did not want to have any attorney involved (I was told this by two directly and it was insinuated with the other two) and they did not want a realator involved. I have an attorney but I have only called him once when I found my seller dead. I also have prepaid legal for unlimited phone legal consultations and I have called twice to ask about a fence line on one property and about a garage that is right on the property line but the roof stick out 3 inches over the neighbors property. It turned out in all three cases I knew the answer from the real estate books I baught at a law school in Indiana. (I’m not a student) So, I have not really needed a lawyer yet but I know where to get one when the time comes. I think it would be a good Idea for you to be prepared. Find A lawyer even if you never use him. Also read read read.

When to get an Attorney - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on February 11, 2002 at 15:15:48:

I have purchased and gone through a couple “No Money Down” courses off of ebay (C. Sheets $27.00, B. Kaier $39.50). Both courses offer many options to purchase property with little or no money down, and both suggest having your own RE attorney. When would you get an attorney? Do you need one before you make your first purchase?

These courses, as well as most others, suggest options for those with little or no credit. I have excellent credit, and a little money to get started. Do any of you experienced investors have an opinion on what area of investing to concentrate on? I was thinking about buying rehabs to fix and sell, or possibly buy and sell mortgages and notes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: When to get an Attorney - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on February 12, 2002 at 24:12:27:

In my humble opinion:
Find a real estate attorney who speaks your language. Have him/her review your offers and use him/her for your settlements. Don’t settle without the attorney present.