When to Stop Looking for Motivated Sellers - Posted by Rock

Here’s where I got the idea…was he wrong? - Posted by Rock

Posted by Rock on April 24, 2000 at 16:53:01:

I agree with you and the others that responded that leveraging is the way to go and I should use other people’s money. However, at my last investor’s club meeting I was having a discussion with a fellow investor who only does conventional deals (he has wads of cash I guess) who brought up these points to me. This started me thinking that maybe I should go the conventional route to start. Here’s the basic points he made:

1. He said it’s better to find a good rental home in a good area that will rent easily rather than buying a home from a motivated seller in a bad neighborhood that stays vacant. Thus his point was to concentrate on finding well located properties that will rent out easily. He said I’d have less tenant problems, which leads to less damage and more profits.

2. He said to consider the time, money, and effort that I will need to expend in sending out fliers/postcards, and placing hundreds of phone calls with the hopes that I find a motivated seller who will sell on non-conventional terms versus making an offer on a well located property using a conventional deal. He said even if I put down $20,000 and have a $200 a month positive cash flow, that would be a 10% return. Yes, he admits that finding one motivated seller might net me a 30% return or more but he said he would rather buy 5 houses in one month with a 10% return on each of them rather than wasting time trying to find that one “steal of a deal” that could take longer. His point - 10% on 5 houses in one month is better than 30% on 1 house over a 3 month period.

So, that’s what had me thinking of putting my $65K into conventional deals instead. I haven’t decided yet - the posts I’ve received have me thinking that maybe the advice I received from this guy was way off. Keep the advice coming - I’m learning from all of you.

Re: Here’s where I got the idea…was he wrong? - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on April 25, 2000 at 09:13:30:

He is not wrong about location being key in having less tenant problems. However, you can still find a motivated seller in a good area. It does not have to be a desperate seller, just motivated. If you have a seller with a 15 yr old house in a great neighborhood, but the house needs work such as carpet, paint, new appliances, etc. Mr. Seller does not have the cash to get the house looking good, and it has been on the market for 5 months. He has a new, larger house for his family under contract, and will lose that house if he does not act soon. Now you just buy his house at a good price. Then, you fix his house up - you can get work such as this done through Lowes or Home Depot if you don’t have contractors you know yet. Then, refinance your money out. Say you buy for $65K, put $6K into the house, then it appraises for $80. Even if you only get an 80% loan with your refinance, you will now have only $6K in the house. If it goes up $2K per year and pays of $1K per year, you are making 50% not counting any cash flow. And you still have alot of your money left to buy other houses with.