Where and how would you invest $50K in Los A.? - Posted by Peter

Posted by Peter on September 20, 2003 at 14:12:09:

Thank you for your advice Randy! Best of luck in OC!
Peter

Where and how would you invest $50K in Los A.? - Posted by Peter

Posted by Peter on September 20, 2003 at 11:24:35:

Where and how would you invest $50K in Los Angeles?
Just to confirm the idea, it is not what I want, but what would you do with this money. Where would you look for deals etc.
Thank you guys!

Re: Where and how would you invest $50K in Los A.? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on September 20, 2003 at 20:23:01:

I live in Santa Barbara and wouldn’t know how to find a cash flow deal anywhere between Oxnard and San Luis Obispo. So I work in Kern county–Bakersfield and surrounding areas.

However, I feel that there are still opportunities for rehabs in various parts of Los Angeles and in the Inland Empire. Not cash flow properties necessarily, but properties that could be bought right and re-sold retail for a good profit. $50K would definitely get you a downpayment and rehab cash for some projects.

Do you know what kind of investing you want to do? That will definitely help you determine areas to work in.

Sincerely, Kristine

How about Oregon? - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on September 20, 2003 at 13:54:57:

Peter,
I live in OC and I just sold my 3 rentals in Anaheim. Personally, I don’t see any opportunity in coastal CA. Affordability factor is in the danger zone around 20%. Rent to value ratio is around .5. So, to me, it looks a market with a lot of negative cash flow and very little upside potential. Not very attractive to me.

I have been investing in OH. Ron Starr lives in Oakland and he goes to OK.

Frankly, if I were starting with a blank slate right now, I would think about Oregon. Not too far from LA. Highest unemployment rate in the country. Very desirable place to live. I have to think there might be an opportunity there.

Something to think about maybe.

Good luck,
Randy