Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by moe

Posted by Don Dion on June 29, 2003 at 12:32:12:

I am not stating the opinion of a mortgage broker here even though I am one. I am telling you what the hard money lenders are looking for. They get into a deal with 2 or 3 points up front and 9 to 15% interest depending on how bad the credit is. Then they do 12 to 36 month loans. It is always set up with a take out game plan for the people to correct the problem and then come back to me once their credit or job situation is corrected.

I have also been contated and done a few deals over the years with the guys that go to the weekend seminars that teach them to get into deals an as soon as they can foreclose and get the people out so they can sell it. I dont do business that way and when it happens once or twice I stop doing loans for these investors.

Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by moe

Posted by moe on June 16, 2003 at 18:43:04:

Hello all,
Have not visited this site in a long time…nice to see it is still here. My problem is this and no offense to anyone, but I have not found ONE “hard money lender” that does business in the state of Alabama! One gentleman I talked to in Birmingham said he was but, get this, they only loan 65% of purchase or appraisal, whichever is LOWER! All the others I talked to said Montgomery is too small! does anyone out there in CRE land know of a hard money lender that will fund deals in Montgomery,AL? Is there anyone from Alabama on these boards?? Someone help!

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by Don Dion

Posted by Don Dion on June 18, 2003 at 14:04:17:

I am licensed in AL what are the details of the transaction your trying to do? You can email them to me at chgodon@hotmail.com and I will take a look at it for you. I have lenders that do fico’s down to 600 for 95% 550 90% 525 85% 500 80% depending on your credit grading. I will also need to know your mortgage or rental payment history for the past 12-24 months and bk, NOD history if applicable

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by James Strange

Posted by James Strange on June 16, 2003 at 18:58:00:

As long as you are in the city and not in the sticks it can be done.

James Strange

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by Roy_FL

Posted by Roy_FL on June 29, 2003 at 01:03:46:

Not to sound like a smarta$$, but the guy is looking for hard money lenders. Your post answered with various percentages based on credit scores. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t hard money lending based solely upon the value of the property in question? I read somewhere (on this site I believe) that if a guy calls himself a hard money lender and then wants to know your credit score- he “ain’t” as they say in Bama… My .02

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by moe

Posted by moe on June 16, 2003 at 19:18:45:

The Sticks? You mean the “boonies”…? No. It’s the city. Not as big as Birmingham but definitely not the sticks…LOL!

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on June 29, 2003 at 09:41:05:

Roy,

I agree with you. Dom is brokering Sub-prime not Hard Money. When a lender asks for your credit score, you know they can’t even spell Hard Money.

Ed Garcia

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by Don Dion

Posted by Don Dion on June 29, 2003 at 08:47:32:

Ok I will correct you since you are wrong!! I have been in the mortgage business since 1982 and have several Hard Money Lenders in the chicago area. These are not the foreclosure experts that come out of weekend seminars. A real hard money lender is looking for a safe way to make 12% or more. The last thing most of these guys want is the property back. To them it’s an expense to have to rehab and sell. Some even turn the properties over to rehabbers on a short sale just to get rid of the headache.

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on June 30, 2003 at 24:39:26:

Dom,

If you have been in the Mortgage business since 1982, then I disappointed how little you know about lending.

First of all, lets get off the foreclosure experts that come out of weekend seminars.

They don?t have a d@mn thing to do with Hard Money.

Secondly, Roy is not wrong.

I?ve been in financing and RE Investing since 1967. As a matter fact I?ve owned American Heritage Financial Corp. since 1980.

In that period of time I funded at least $100,000,000 in Just Hard Money.

I?m going to give you a definition of the term HARD MONEY as defined in our ?Glossary Of Common Terms Used In Loans And Lending? By Ed Wachsman in the ?How-To Articles? of this site.

HARD MONEY

Hard Money Loan. A loan that is underwritten with the condition and value of the property as the primary criteria for approval. Secondary issues may include the credit of the borrower, the ability of the borrower to repay the loan and/or the ability of the borrower to manage the property or successfully complete a rehab and sell the property. Owner occupancy, debt ratios and other issues are seldom a factor. Appraisals rather than purchase prices are used to determine value. Cash out purchases are often allowed and are another key benefit. These loans are usually approved within days and are often funded in two weeks or under with times as short as two or three days not uncommon. The cost for the benefits of speed of funding, lax underwriting and other advantages is typically a moderately high interest rate (usually low to mid teens) and high points (usually 5 to 10). (See definition of “underwriting” below.)

Now that you understand the term, I want you to know that because of Predatory Lending Hard Money is going through some significant changes.

From this day forward, Hard Money Lender no longer want to lend to Homeowners owner occupied, because of the Predatory Lending laws. This is a sad day for me Dom, because over the years I have helped many a homeowners who had bad credit, lost their job, what ever, save their home from foreclosure, giving them time to either get into the position to pay for it or sell it on their own salvaging the remaining equity rather then lose it in foreclosure.

After saying that, I can tell you that Hard Money will be more available for None owner occupied and in California were doing Commercial loans as well. I can do a Hard Money loan in California up to 1.5 million.

Dom, weather you agree or disagree, I can tell you that I?ve made Hard Money Loans safely for years. The attitude when making a Hard Money loan is that you?re making the loan to the property not the borrower. The protective is the equity position.

Ed Garcia

Re: Where ARE these lenders?? - Posted by Roy_FL

Posted by Roy_FL on June 29, 2003 at 11:13:04:

Don,

I’m not trying to get into a urinating contest with you. I’m just restating the opinion that a HML’s loan criteria should be based on LTV, not credit score. That’s why they want such low LTV’s as 65% or less.

I know you gotta make a buck, too. Hey, if I were a mortgage broker, I’d probably look at this issue differently, too.

Happy investing.