Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by Katheryn

Posted by Katheryn on April 09, 2007 at 20:10:33:

David, I probably will check into the REIT’s although the risks are higher because I am to assume there is a much higher investment but then you have no control on what shopping centers, apartment bldg., etc. they buy. Management fees should be outrageous as well. But with the right property (stock) it can be very lucrative. Oh boy! The benefits of RE is calling the shots as you said and I don’t like that feeling of not be able to control my money. Thanks

Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by Katheryn

Posted by Katheryn on April 07, 2007 at 23:08:29:

I am trying to find Real Estate investment groups and when I tried REIA groups, they said they don’t do that. I wanted to find a group that pools their money and buys investment properties. Do I look for a group or do I have to go for an individual? I thought I read it somewhere a few months back in a post. Any info would be appreciated.

Tell us ur location & REIs will contat U - Posted by blucat

Posted by blucat on April 11, 2007 at 12:22:30:

If you’ll tell us your City and State I guarantee you will get some contacts by people with deals to offer you.

Not all will be great or even good, so you’ll have to screen and verify everything - but you will get offers.

Re: Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 09, 2007 at 15:29:51:

why would you want to do that?

imho one of the benefits of real estate is that you call the shots, work for yourself, etc.

if you’re going to invest in a group, yuo could do REITS, LPs, and TICs. or buy stock of real estate companies.

Re: Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by camgere

Posted by camgere on April 08, 2007 at 21:28:47:

Just like Elmer Fudd sneaking up on Bugs Bunny, people seeking investment capital have to be wary, wary careful.

In California you can’t take money for selling a house without a real estate license. If you go around soliciting for investment money the SEC may come knocking at your door wanting to see your securities license. In addition some investments are only open to high net worth/high income investors who are supposedly smarter than average or at least better able to cope with large financial losses. These are sometimes calle “accredited”, “qualified” or “sophisticated” investors. IPOs, venture seed money and private placements aren’t for riff raff like you and I. So some investing is done by word of mouth and social connection rather than radio advertising.

If you are in the mood to throw money around you may want to look into Trust Deed Investing. Having your name on the trust deed and promissory note lowers your risk. There are hard money lenders who will lend money for widows and pensioners for a significant fee. You will have to do a reverse look up and call people advertising money to lend asking if they need more money to invest. Some are very conscientious, hard working people and some are scam artists who will totally fleece you.

The California Department of Real Estate has a nice blurb on this.

http://www.dre.ca.gov/trust.htm

Real Estate is differnet in every state.

If you found this boring then real estate investing isn’t for you. Remember you could end up owning your worst nightmare (a mold/crack/trashed/ flooded/equakedamaged/ fire damaged house).

Your local Real Estate Investment club may be aware of people with good reputations who lend money.

Good Luck and Be Careful Out There!

Re: Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by keith

Posted by keith on April 08, 2007 at 11:56:19:

do you mean a real estate investment group, where people who buy and sell have meetings or people who would be investing their money into deals.

I think, for money you’d have to put together a group of people to do that, through your attorney. If you mean the other, there is a space here and on other forums that give locations, such as REIA.
Keith

Re: Tell us ur location & REIs will contat U - Posted by Katheryn

Posted by Katheryn on April 11, 2007 at 23:28:02:

Thanks Blucat. I live in Jacksonville, Florida which is a very large city. We have 4 active REIA groups and 1 in Orange Park. But I was trying to find other RE groups that either pool their money & invest or RE groups that teach other types of investing for the money we make. Or is there such a thing? I love the REIA groups and learned so much but I am ready for more education and different styles of RE investing. I did note that when I googled RE investment groups most of the websites were REIA groups so I may have to either start a club or invest in an ad to find other frustrated rich investors who want to do Trump like adventures!

Re: Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by Katheryn

Posted by Katheryn on April 09, 2007 at 17:24:27:

Dave, I need to know what REITS, LP’s and TIC’s are.
Since I do not know maybe that is why I am barking up the wrong tree. In fact, I do have money, I just want to have someone else invest it for a change and let me sit back and sip some ice tea…

Posted by Katheryn on April 08, 2007 at 23:26:33:

Thanks camgere for the advice. I will check with the real estate clubs and also the Trust deed investing sounds interesting. I am always open to something new and I will post back what I find out.

Posted by Katheryn on April 08, 2007 at 23:36:47:

Thanks Keith, I was looking for a group where I could put my money in a fund or something and they put money in it too. Then when it reaches say 50k, they buy something like a small house, lot, or tax certificates or whatever. I would like to find a group established already since I have no time to start a group or am not sure what they buy anyhow. But I am sure you could invest any amount, maybe as low as 1k, just to see what happens to that although what if there were only like 8 members? But I will check my library and maybe community links to see if we have something. I will post what I find.

Re: Tell us ur location & REIs will contat U - Posted by Janisha

Posted by Janisha on April 12, 2007 at 19:08:57:

I am also looking for RE groups and I live in Champaign-Urbana, IL.

Re: Where can I find RE investments groups? - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on April 09, 2007 at 19:06:06:

REIT are real estate investment trusts, they are sold like stock by stock brokers and often invest in shopping centers, apartment complexes, big box stores etc. They do all the management for a fee and the investors are along for the ride.

LPs are limited partnerships, they are similar where you buy an unit, instead of a stock share. The general partner has all the liability risks and the limited partner is a passive investor in the whole thing.

TIC are smaller, in the sence, there is alimit to the number of participants. TIC stands for tenants in common. A group of peole get together to buy a property, usually the managment and all other issues are outlined in the operating agreement.