Where do I go from here? - Posted by Brenda PA

Posted by Chris on March 01, 2000 at 15:00:34:

Check your county tax records for an address. I would also send a letter to that address stating your interest.


Where do I go from here? - Posted by Brenda PA

Posted by Brenda PA on March 01, 2000 at 14:53:30:

I came across a vacant house (boarded) with no forwarding address or phone number to contact. I spoke to a neighbor who had no real information concerning the occupants only that the wife and husband were having marital problems and that she was kind of glad they were gone however, she doesn’t like seeing the house vacant. I gave her my business card to inform me of anything concerning the owners and there whereabouts. I then contacted a friend of my who is a real estate agent to do a search on the house. She came across the owners name, the date and price of purchase, a phone number and the name of the mortgage company. I called the number and I got no answer after 10 rings. I tried contacting the mortgage company through “Information” to find out the status of the property and if I could acquire the property before it goes for auction. The mortgage company was not very helpful at all and they would not give me any information concerning this property. Where do I go from here???

Re: Where do I go from here? - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on March 01, 2000 at 17:07:26:

I would first check the status of the taxes, are they current?, if not , how much is owed? Then i would either do, or have someone do a quick title search of the record owner only. This will give you an idea as to what other liens may be encumbering the property. If the property is free and clear, and there are just taxes owed, you might do as Ben suggested and buy the liens and foreclose. If it looks like you have a deal, Spend the 50 bucks to have a skip tracer locate the owner and then go from there.

Re: Where do I go from here? - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on March 01, 2000 at 15:16:41:

Try the local tax collector. Chances are taxes are delinquent and there is a tax lien on the property.
It may be worth purchasing the tax lien and foreclosing on the property.

Re: Where do I go from here? - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on March 01, 2000 at 15:03:13:

This is true - the mortgage company will not talk to you at all about this property unless you have a signed statement from the owners that it’s OK for them to disclose information.

I would check with the local post office. Does mail still go there or is there a forwarding order? For a small fee they will usually tell you the forwarding address. Try this - and keep trying the telephone. Good luck and keep us posted.